67 442 Convertible window felt installation

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:21 AM

67 442 Convertible window felt installation

Changing window felts for the inside front door glass.
I bought new felts for my 67 442 convertible and need to figure out how to attach them to the door panel. The original felts on my door panel are installed with what looks like staples and the staples allow for the panel to fit snuggly to the inside of the door. The felts I bought have holes drilled into them.
If I were to mount the felts with screws, the screws won't allow the panels to fit snuggly as screws take up lots of space. Anybody replace these recently, and what was the method to mate the felts with the inner door panel?

Attached is a pic of how the original felt attached to the door panel.
Thanks Dave

Old Yesterday | 05:20 PM

I made staples out of .045 stainless steel welding wire to match the holes in the felts, used a #56 drill to put the holes in the door panel and folded them over.It worked great, they are on tight but it took forever to do.
Steele rubber has premade staples.
https://www.steelerubber.com/stainle...les-70-4675-45
I have also seen people use windshield urethane to glue them on,I didn't know how long this would last so I stapled them back on.
Old Yesterday | 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by nicks1966
I made staples out of .045 stainless steel welding wire to match the holes in the felts, used a #56 drill to put the holes in the door panel and folded them over.It worked great, they are on tight but it took forever to do.
Steele rubber has premade staples.
https://www.steelerubber.com/stainle...les-70-4675-45
I have also seen people use windshield urethane to glue them on,I didn't know how long this would last so I stapled them back on.
Hi, I didn't have any good material for staples and it looked like a pain to line everything up so I ended up using small pop-rivets. i had to grind them down to fit over the inner door skin, but lt looks pretty good. I still have the other door to do and maybe if I get the drive, i might try the rivets. Cant really see the pop rivets, but I'll paint them black anyways.