1987 Cutlass Salon Under Dash Trim

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:27 AM

1987 Cutlass Salon Under Dash Trim

Hello....I'm Lancer175 and I'm new. My '87 Cutlass Salon was damaged during a theft attempt. I am trying to locate a Black under dash trim panel. It is the one that attaches to the underside of the driver's side dash and has the square opening and little cover door for the fuse block. I'm on my way to the salvage yard to look at a 1986 Cutlass Supreme to see if there is one I can obtain.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a GM part number for this under dash trim panel? An image? My body shop thinks the entire dashboard has to be replaced. Dashboard drawings/images I have seen don't show this under dash trim piece.

Thank you so much!

Lancer175
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O.! See if this helps you?

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...rimLevel=25332

Pat
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:03 PM

Hello 1970cs.....

Thank you for the diagram above....I actually found this trim panel at a local auto salvage yard...pulled it from a 1986 Cutlass. It is GM Part 25511659 Instrument Panel Absorber Insulator. It can be purchased online at a dealership too!

Now I have to locate parts to repair the steering column and ignition switch linkage. Just visited the library for a look at a Chilton's "Olds Cutlass" book. Any idea on sources for these parts?

Thank you again!
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Olds Fever

This is an illustration of the dash components for 82-87 G-Body... The part you are looking for is not shown in this view and I don't believe there are any other views available that will show the plastic cover/shield...

Old March 5th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Lancer175
Hello 1970cs.....

Thank you for the diagram above....I actually found this trim panel at a local auto salvage yard...pulled it from a 1986 Cutlass. It is GM Part 25511659 Instrument Panel Absorber Insulator. It can be purchased online at a dealership too!

Now I have to locate parts to repair the steering column and ignition switch linkage. Just visited the library for a look at a Chilton's "Olds Cutlass" book. Any idea on sources for these parts?

Thank you again!
It would be in your best interest to invest in a OEM Chassis Service Manual... The Chilton's Cutlass manual will not give you the level of detail for the steering column you will need... I have one of those Chilton's manual and it does not have a break down of the steering column....

This is an OEM Chassis Manual:

One on EBay for $10.00:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Oldsmob...dWpYtB&vxp=mtr
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:18 PM

Illustration of Dash Components

Hello CRUZN 66...

I believe the GM Part 25511659 Instrument Panel Absorber Insulator is shown as Item 65.

Thank you for your helpful information!

Lancer175
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Oldsdruid

Sounds like your switch and rack is already fubared from the theft, so depending on amount of damage to the column you might be as well off to get a complete column from a salvage yard and upgrade to tilt if you don't already have it. You can easily paint to match and switching out the ignition cylinder is no problem.

The G-body theft problem is a shame but given the appeal those cars have to a certain demographic, it ain't going away. I've had several friends who've had their GM G-bodies stolen and damaged, and several years back four G-body Hurst/Oldsmobiles were brazenly stolen at the H/OCA National Meet in Indianapolis. I think only one (a 79) was recovered and it was damaged badly enough to effectively total it. Hotel security cameras captured- you guessed it- gangsta demographic breaking into and stealing the cars. Yo, G for gangsta, yo.
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Hello "rockerraider"....

Thank you for your advice. Interestingly enough, the ignition key will turn from "LOCK" to the "ACCY" position, but not the "OFF", "RUN", "BULB TEST" "START" positions. Of course, I don't want to force it and I am inclined to believe the thieves damaged the ignition switch since I can at least turn the key to the "ACCY" position. I did locate "Steering Column Services" and their site is MOST HELPFUL. They do show a number of replacement parts. Time to shop.

I'm sad about the G-body theft problem.....I thought we had "gotten out of that era" about 10 - 15 years ago. Oh well....