General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1987 Cutlass Salon won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

1987 Cutlass Salon won't go into gear

I have a 1987 Cutlass Salon with a 307ci V8 and auto trans. I am not sure what transmission is in it but I am sure it is the standard tranny for this model year since the car is all original. I have seen from time to time a little fluid leaking from the tranny as well as the rear main seal on the motor leaking into the bell housing but I don't think it leaks enough tranny fluid to keep the car from going in gear. I have tried things like Lucas and Trans Medix but those are only temporary fixes that really didn't work very well. I haven't had a chance to get the car in the air and diagnose visually what is going on under there but I was wondering if anyone else has seen a similar problem and could point me in the right direction.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
car guy

What do you mean by it won't go into gear? The lever won't move or the car will not move once in gear. Will it move at all? Have to checked the fluid level? Does it smell burnt? Give us some more info on it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearheads78
What do you mean by it won't go into gear? The lever won't move or the car will not move once in gear. Will it move at all? Have to checked the fluid level? Does it smell burnt? Give us some more info on it.
To expand on that, does the car move in any gear (rev, low, etc)? Is the shift linkage attached to the trans? When you shift into gear, does it make a noise?

If it's the four speed overdrive automatic, your trans is likely a 200-4R. There are known weak spots on the input side of the trans that can cause a lack of motion (I've got one like that in my 86, unfortunately). The only cure is a new trans.
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM

We need more info. My ATSG 2004-R service manual states for "No drive in drive range" to inspect:
Oil Level
Manual Linkage
Oil Pressure
Overdrive unit
Forward clutch
Low & Reverse roller Clutch.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68conv455
We need more info. My ATSG 2004-R service manual states for "No drive in drive range" to inspect:
Oil Level
Manual Linkage
Oil Pressure
Overdrive unit
Forward clutch
Low & Reverse roller Clutch.
Considering that the original poster hasn't responded with more info in over a month, I'm guessing he/she has solved the problem.