General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Best Oil Grade

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Here's your VR-1 info for TBN, 8.5 as an SN rated oil:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

Here is the info on the "For Racing only", it has more wear protection but the TBN <6:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/specialty_racing.pdf
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM

This is start from my 65 owners manual in the glove box, GM recommended 10-30 down to 0 degrees and if you live where it's really cold (below 0 for extended periods) they recommended 0-20.
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

Very interesting reading, in fact I downloaded a copy and read that 3 times.I am also going to send it to my brother in Australia as he is a petrolhead with a 1970 Ford Fairmont the 302 engine of which is out and getting stroked to 392 cubic inch amongst other things. Unfortunately we don't have the range of oils in New Zealand as is available in the U.S and I ended up purchasing Castrol Edge Titanium 25W-50 because of its weight and because it "maximises performance in modified street and big bore competition engines,minimises oil consumption maintains oil pressue in large displacement high performance engines and exceeds API SG/CD. i am assuming that it is not all hype of course!
Old December 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
What oil was recommended for the engine when it was new?, that might be a good starting point.
I have read a lot of posts about Fram filters, all of which seem to me subjective hearsay. I have read one peer reviewed controlled conditions blind test comparitive report (admittedly 20 years old now).
The report found that Fram were the best at removing harmful particulates (10 - 30 micron size) and best at maintaining filtering ability over time.
It seems they have a reputation for poor build quality, however I have never had one fail in 30+ years of using them. If you change your oil and filter on schedule I doubt you will have any issues whichever filter you use.

Roger.
Again I could not source anything but a Repco branded oil filter from my local Repco branch. I ended up buying a K&N HP-2003 Gold Performance off the Internet which is a heavy little sucker with a few additional features like an anti drainback valve that keeps the filter full of oil at all times.Unfortunately after crawling under the car I found that the sump plug is round and must need a special socket to remove as it has a recessed aperture like a sun with many "triangular" shapes pointing out to the rim of the plug. I think it may be a Star Willie type of some description. Any ideas on that question?
Old December 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Sarum
... with... an anti drainback valve that keeps the filter full of oil at all times.
... Which is a completely useless feature in an oil filter that is positioned with it's top upward, as in the Olds engine, as there is no way for the oil to drain out.

Originally Posted by Sarum
Any ideas on that question?
It's an eight-pointed special wrench, but you can use a half inch drive ratchet without any socket attached.

- Eric
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:01 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by MDchanic

It's an eight-pointed special wrench, but you can use a half inch drive ratchet without any socket attached.

- Eric

And when it's out get you local friendly machine shop to make a drain plug you can fit a normal wrench to. Or find a drain plug from another car that fits.

Roger.
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
... Which is a completely useless feature in an oil filter that is positioned with it's top upward, as in the Olds engine, as there is no way for the oil to drain out.

- Eric
That's what I thought to e3xcept that it might mean not as much oil to tip out on oil changes. When I mentioned that I couldn't see the point to one of the local parts guys he told me that he had used them on his rally car and they had been of help (on start up I guess).

Yes the 1/2 inch drive socket worked great.Cheers
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're welcome.

As for drainback valves, most (I think) of the good oil filters have them, regardless of their intended position, but they really don't make a difference in a straight-down filter like the Olds has.
In terms of spillage, you'll probably lose a little at oil changes no matter what, but if you keep the filter level as you let it down, all you should spill is the oil in the plumbing directly above the filter.

- Eric
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
This is start from my 65 owners manual in the glove box, GM recommended 10-30 down to 0 degrees and if you live where it's really cold (below 0 for extended periods) they recommended 0-20.
Very cool to have an oiginal owners manual. I guess you are talking Farenheit which to me is about -18Celsius on the 0 degrees. The coldest it would ever get where I live is about 45degrees F in the middle of a cold winters night, Thanks for you help.