Decent driver grade paint job in dallas area

Old August 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Decent driver grade paint job in dallas area

Anyone in the DFW area know of a place get a decent driver grade paint job for around 1000? Is there such a thing? How long would it take them to do on average? How long would it last in the sun?

I am asking for a friend who has a late 90's mistsucrap that the paint is coming off in big flakes from the windows down.

I know she should get rid of the thing, but she really wants to keep it.
I told her any new paint job will be worth more than the car itself... I suggest just use come bomb-cans from Lowes!
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

This is the bee's-knees for less expensive automobile paint jobs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...o-paint-your-c

Can't make it any worse.
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
car guy

Just run it by Maco. If you pull the lamps and any trim you can before it goes it will come out a decent 20ft paint job.
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Just paint it on with a foam roller!
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Keep in mind I am not touching this thing. It is not worth even thinking about, let alone working on it. Now if it was an Olds, I would consider some work...

Maaco still exists?? The "home of the $300 paint job"? She wants it back in a few days - any chance? She does not know what painting cars involves...

Maybe I should tell her to get a bucket of paint at Sherwin Williams (she is in the export side of that co.), some brushes, beer, and tell her to have at it (but not at my place...)
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Sure Maaco is alive and well and their paint jobs don't take long. They shoot it and bake it and call it the shake and bake.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
car guy

I did all the body work on a buddys Nova and he took the stripped shell there. It turned out looking supprisingly well.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Just take it to Uncle Earl.
Last time I heard it was around 400 bucks for the good stuff, I remember when it was "$29.95, no ups, no extras".

As usual, leave the doors open and they'll do the interior too.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18714958...z=Dallas%2C+TX
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM

We dont have ol earl shieb in the dfw area anymore, but back in the seventies, we used to joke that he would paint Fort Worth Green for $29.95. I took a car to them back in the early seventies with bare metal front fenders. ( i'd already sanded the car and stripped the fenders down) I instructed the sales guy to primer the fenders before painting. Few weeks later i took it to the car wash, and the paint blew off the fenders when i hit it with the water revealing bare metal and NO primer.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
This is the bee's-knees for less expensive automobile paint jobs.

Can't make it any worse.
Cool, very cool...
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM

well....ever heard of a guy named Earl Scheib....

Back in Ohio they used ot have this chain paint body shop called Earl Scheib....they would paint your car for $49.95 back in the seventies....they joke about ol Earl's was if you left the windows down they did the interior for free.....and if you left your lil brother in there they paint him too....you could always tell when they painted a car....they would have the owner take the hubcaps off and they would paint the wheel and the tire....very sporty looking....you have to just imagine it....really.....lol.....Oldsdroptop
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Back in 1970, I bought a 1965 Mustang convertible right out of the Army. My first stop was to have it painted at Earl Schieb's in Van Nuys (near LA). They had a special on some good quality paint for $99.95. The only drawback was the color...battleship gray. After it was done, it actually looked pretty good. A week later the car was stolen, and I never saw it again. The police found the car at the bottom of a cliff in the Sierra Nevada's - completely totalled, a real scrape heep - was sent directly to the area's scrap yard.

Here in Phoenix, Earl Schieb lives. his rates have gone up though. It now cost $349.95. Same paint job deal - same quick wierd non-scientific no frills approach. I can still see the outline of old Earl's head in neon lights above his sign in front of that store, many moons ago.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Earl The Pearl, Lol
Must look him up on youtube
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I don't know how handy this person is with spray cans, but it worked pretty well for me...
My acclaim was peeling really bad, like most acclaims do. I looked into the price for the correct paint, $500 Went to home depot, got all me supplies including rustoleum "saftey blue" for ~$100 and in 3 days (-3 hours, yes 69 hours of straight work) I had this. :tup:

100_3857.jpg

100_3858.jpg

100_3861.jpg

Perfect, it is far from, but for a weekend rush, it came out good. It was peeling on the top of the 1/4s, decklid and the roof. Friday morning I found the paint on the hood let go too, but it went to bare metal, so when I got out of school I ran around, got my supplies, spent 6 hours masking alone(masked right along the factory pin stripe, also NOTHING was removed before painting, and I see NO overspray on anything), and rolled it into the garage (1 am, saturday morning). Spent all of saturday preping the "to be painted" areas and finally got to laying paint in the wee hours of the morning on sunday. By sunday evening it was dry enough to roll out and unmask.
Back together in time for monday morning. Though, it took me a while to recover from that...

Last edited by marcar1993; October 17th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cutlass Lover

LOL! God, Earl Schieb.... I remember those commercials - I haven't heard that name in years!!! Made me laugh remembering them!
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Marcar, that Plymouth Acclaim looks like a champ! I am surprised that it turned out so well for a weekend worth of work. I have done quite a bit of research and browsing and from what I've seen if someone wants to do a paint job on the cheap with a spray can or foam roller it can be done with decent results. Of course, you won't be selling the car at Barret Jackson but it is definitely an alternative to using a HVLP gun.

Despite this I still think I am going to buy a compressor and HVLP gun to paint my car this spring. I could use the compressor around the house anyways.

Good job!
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks, but by all means, an hvlp gun is "right" way to do it. In my case I needed to get a coat of paint on it to preserve what is there... It doesn't even need to look pretty, just do it's job. I need to drive that acclaim, it's the car that works so the others don't have to (not that I could afford to feed the other's on a daily basis. )
The fact that it looks half way decent is a big plus. Although, I have quite a bit of experience with a spray can. So I had that on my side too.
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Earl had over 500 stores at one time. My grandfather worked for him in the 60s and eventually became Earl's #2 man. They were painting cars for $19.95 when he started.
He still jokes about how they painted the wheels, tires, windows and how they painted them "from here up", motioning at his knees. He painted over 100 cars a week in his stores and says that they had painted as many as 56 cars in one day.
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Well, this is over now.
A month ago, a moron woman in an suv backed up into the side of Alice's parked car - the moron claimed she did not see it. Well, you have to look BEHIND when backing! Luckily Alice was just walking out and saw what happened and got her info before she ran off.
Surprisingly, she had insurance, and they had to pay for fixing 2 mangled doors, and some for paint.
She took the car to the dealer to fix the doors - smart move.
Where she screwed up is taking the car to a cheap korean place for paint. I was on vacation at the time this happened, so i had no idea or say in it.
They said they would paint it for 1400.
When it was "done", they did not do the bumpers, roof, hood, or trunk! I guess they are normally excluded from a "complete repaint job"???? Idiots.
After lots of bitching to them, they finally decided to finish it. She went over there later and all was repainted. Of course they just scuff sanded everything and used no filler to cover hail dents, chips, and scratches.
They then told her she owed them 2100. She told them 1500 cash - take it or leave it. They disagreed. She pretty much told them to go to someplace HOT and undesireable and that her lawyer would come get the car the next week.
They did take the cash afterall and it is done.
It looks good from 10 feet. Look closely and you see underlying dents, primer on the windows, big runs at the door bottoms, thin areas, new scratches, as the new paint is a bit soft. Various trim was hit by the sanding wheel. The new paint was not as metallic as the original.
For 1500, I still think she got screwed. I wish she went to Earl. Luckily it is not a good desirable car. When the paint starts shedding in a few years, it will be time for a new one. She has a desire for a Jeep...
It took them 3 weeks to do it and luckily, insurance paid for a rental car.
Now one week into one retal car, two stupid kids tried to swerve around her when she was slowing to turn and hit the rental car! She chased them down and got their insurance to fix the rental car. Those dolts said she swerved into her lane.
WHY can't people just admit - "I screwed up and hit your car?" Geez.......

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; November 28th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.