General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Spoiler Installation Per 1970 Assembly Manual

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM

Spoiler Installation Per 1970 Assembly Manual

For anyone interested, this screenshot was taken from the 1970 A-body Assembly Manual. I would expect the same installation for 71 and 72, too.

Old March 13th, 2019, 03:42 PM

I wonder if the holes were pre-punched on the assembly line trunk lids or did they hand drill with a template? Would the pre-punched trunk lid have a separate part # ?
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
For anyone interested, this screenshot was taken from the 1970 A-body Assembly Manual. I would expect the same installation for 71 and 72, too.

If the factory and over the counter spoilers had two studs on each pedestal to mount the spoiler to the trunk, and one stud in each pedestal to secure the wing, then why does the image seem to show three holes in the trunk lid where the pedestals align? Possibly a change from three mounting studs in each pedestal to only two after the assembly manual was published?
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
I wonder if the holes were pre-punched on the assembly line trunk lids or did they hand drill with a template? Would the pre-punched trunk lid have a separate part # ?
look at the inside of the hole,ragged= drilled neat smooth = pierced.
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:52 PM

Here is a GM pic and shows 3 holes with the measurements

ere is
Old March 14th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Does anyone have a spoiler equipped car with documentation who can say if the trunk lid has three studs on each side mounting the spoiler? It seems at least the dealership over the counter, and Demmer Tool & Dye spoilers given to employees, only had two mounting studs in each pedestal.
Old March 15th, 2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
look at the inside of the hole,ragged= drilled neat smooth = pierced.
I agree with what you are saying but I've never had the opportunity to see a factory trunk lid with a spoiler up close from the underside. Can someone post a picture? Also are the torsion rods thicker or placed differently to allow for the extra weight of the spoiler? Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:08 PM

Spoiler

I thought the original " wings" that were installed from GM had 3 mounting studs per pedestal. The middle stud actually screwed to the top of the wing , so when you tightened it down, it forced it against the pedestal. I have both an original wing with the 3 studs and a reproduction with the 2 studs per side. The 2 stud repo seems to loosen up and you can rock the top of the wing back and forth. The original is always nice and tight!
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:56 AM

I am very curious about this as well. My black 71 originally came with a wing. I've known about the car since 1985. It's had the same wing on it since I've known about it. It has 2 studs on each side. It may have been replaced between 71 and 85, but it's heavy like the OEM wing. Not very light like the reproduction wings.

@Shiftbyear - The springs must be different. I know when I pop the trunk on the above mentioned car it opens by itself and that wing is fairly heavy. I have always heard they used heavy rated springs.
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:52 AM

If anyone has access to their Rallye, would they please check to see if there are three or two mounting studs for each pedestal in the trunk lid. These should be factory installed, though possibly not on the regular production line as early cars were supposedly pulled off the line then converted to Rallye 350's. **

The later Rallye's might have been assembled on the regular production line if ordered by the dealer for their inventory or a customer.

Maybe the earlier produced spoilers had three deck lid mounting studs per pedestal and later two due to a design change? How many mounting studs are on an OEM '69 Hurst/Olds spoiler?

Was the trunk torsion bar different for factory spoiler equipped cars, or was the torsion bar mounted differently to increase the tension?

** Just looked at the revision dates on the manual drawings and all are well after the start of production. The revision dated December 1969 notes the center stud was a bolt, which is on my brother's spoiler bought over the dealer counter in 1971. The February 1970 revision adds an additional measurement for drilling the trunk lid holes. A Rallye with a January 1970 build date has a spoiler with two mounting studs in each pedestal.

Last edited by anthonyP; April 4th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Rallye 350 with 3rd week of March build date has three deck lid mounting studs per pedestal.

Rallye 350 with 3rd week of January build date has two deck lid mounting studs per pedestal.
Old April 8th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Can anyone submit a picture of either? Thanks
Old April 8th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Wing

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Rallye 350 with 3rd week of March build date has three deck lid mounting studs per pedestal.

Rallye 350 with 3rd week of January build date has two deck lid mounting studs per pedestal.
Then all 1969 Hurst's would have 2 studs?
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DROLDS707172
Then all 1969 Hurst's would have 2 studs?
Hopefully someone with a '69 Hurst/Olds can chime in about those spoilers and the number of deck lid mounting studs in each pedestal.

Does anyone know if Demmer Tool & Die made all the 69-71 spoilers or just the early ones? We're the spoilers manufactured in-house at some point? If so, that might explain why some OEM spoilers have two trunk lid mounting studs in each pedestal and others have three.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
Can anyone submit a picture of either? Thanks
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:16 AM

Wing

Middle looks like a longer stud, just like on mine
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:23 AM

My late 69 H/o had 3 holes on each side
Old April 8th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Shoveling Snow

All of the spoilers were made by demmer in early 69 or late 68.
Old April 9th, 2019, 07:34 PM

So what's the synopsis? Was there a cutoff date for the 2 hole spoiler? Were the trunk lids pre-punched or template drilled? Are there any records or engineering drawings showing the different configurations? How did they avoid confusion on the assembly line? Torsion bar requirement? Were the trunk lids painted with the spoiler attached? How do you spot a fake?
Old April 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
All of the spoilers were made by demmer in early 69 or late 68.
Are you saying all of the Hurst/Olds spoilers were made Demmer in early 69 or late 68? Or do you mean all of the spoilers were made at that time for the 69-71 cars, and were all made by Demmer?
Old April 12th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My late 69 H/o had 3 holes on each side
So it looks like the '69 Hurst/Olds may have all had the 3 trunk lid mounting studs in each pedestal. Maybe someone else with a '69 Hurst/Olds can also verify their car spoiler is the same. This sort of contradicts the 1970 assembly manual which shows a January 1970 revision stating the center bolt was changed to a mounting stud.

My brothers OEM spoiler has the center bolt holding the wing to the pedestal and it was purchased over the counter in late 1971. Could it be the spoilers held in inventory for distribution to part departments for over the counter sales all had the two studs per pedestal, and all those installed by the factory or by Demmer during conversions have the three studs per pedestal?

Does anyone have a 1971 car that has a factory installed spoiler and can check the number of trunk lid mounting studs for each pedestal are present?

Demmer must had made the spoilers with two trunk lid mounting studs per pedestal at some point since at least one was sold over the counter that way in 1971, and the two for sale on this site that are original Demmer made spoilers with two trunk lid mounting studs in each pedestal that were given to it's employees.