General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM

rear spoiler

I have a 1972 cutlass supreme going to install a w 35 rear spoiler can any one help with some measurments ! thanks
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Registered Luser

Lightbulb You can thank Allan R!

and me too!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-72-442-a.html
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM

I put one on a 1971 Supreme about 25 years ago, but didn't keep the measurements. What I did was put one of the pedistles against the side of the trunk lid and moved it slowly until it looked like the correct angle and the gap between the two looked even. That got the distance between the bumper and back window. Then I just located the two pedistles equal distances from the right and left sides of the trunk lid. Not a very scientific way to go, but it looked good once I was done. At least one of the bolts required me to drill a hole through the double layer support of the deck lid. I used a hole saw to make a large enough hole that I could put a socket on it.
Good Luck! I think it really adds to the appearance of the car.
John
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM

I've heard that the spoiler wasn't available on the Supreme body style. Not saying you shouldn't do it. I think they look good on the Supreme's too. I'm just thinking that may be why you had to drill in an odd place. Another thing that leads me to believe this is true is that the 70 assembly manual has an illustration showing dimensions for the location of the holes for the mounting studs and the drawing is clearly of a fast back. I suppose the holes could happen to be located in the same place on the trunk lid for a holiday coupe and a supreme but with the trunk lids being different, I would tend to doubt that.
Either way, those are location specs are for "factory" spoilers. I don't know how identical the reproduction spoilers are regarding the spacing of the mounting studs within the pedestals thems selves. Mush less that spacing between the pedestals. Even though I had the assembly manual, I did as 2blu442 did and centered it myself. Measure 15 times, drill once........
By the way, there was no foam or weatherstriping applied between the pedestals and the trunk lid at the factory. You just apply dumb dumb to the studs. I put some at the base of the stud on the pedestal and another gobb/wad on the inside of the trunk lid around the stud and then put the washer and nut on. Dumb dumb is just butyl. The black sticky a&& stuff that they used to use to install windshields. You can get it at any auto store. I suppose you could also use silicone.

Last edited by W70442; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by eric72
I have a 1972 cutlass supreme going to install a w 35 rear spoiler can any one help with some measurments ! thanks
At the bottom of this thread Allen R posted a sheet from the GM assembly manual showing the proper wing hole placement.

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
At the bottom of this thread Allen R posted a sheet from the GM assembly manual showing the proper wing hole placement.

Unfortunately, that diagram is for the "fastback" (Fisher Body code xx77 or xx87) body style. The notchback Supreme (xx57) and convertible (xx67) never got a wing from the factory (note that all 70-72 convertibles used the Supreme body). They were sometimes installed by dealers or owners. The wing pedestals are not angled correctly for the Supreme trunklid. Placement measurements don't exist because they were never factory installed. The fastback measurements may or may not work on the Supreme.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I came in late on this thread. My post from the other thread did not take into account C/S. It was posted simply as a template for anyone who wanted it without buying the Assembly Manual. The pics clearly show the 77/87 fastback design. As mentioned by others, the Supreme didn't have a rear deck wing. Although you might see one occasionally with the option, it was not factory installed. Some may have been dealer, but the majority are like me. They just want to put something they think looks nice on their car.

Another thing to take into account, the rear deck for a notchback and Supreme are not the same. Rob and I compared rear decks (his Lady72) and my 72 Cutlass S. There are subtle differences in width and depth of the deck lid. (They even use different reveal moldings at the side up -sweeps and quarter turns) The template posted for fastbacks may cause complications if you drill in the wrong spot on a CS deck lid?

I know the wing is not correct for my 72 Cutlass, but it was intended for the fastback design and I'm installing it for "the look" not for as a restoration and certainly not for judging points. The template for drilling and mounting will work for my car.

Joe, you may be right about the pedestal angles, but I don't know whether its a significant difference. The pedestal can always be shimmed i suppose.

I haven't seen many Supremes and Verts (even with the W25 hood and 442 package)with wings. IMO the CS notchback design doesn't seem to fit the image for a wing. The CS is a more "elegant" and formal design.