General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Seat belts for a 1955 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2018, 11:55 AM

Seat belts for a 1955 Oldsmobile

Hello all, I posted on this forum last year with some questions about some trim parts for the 1955 Oldsmobile 98 I'm trying to restore, and you all were most helpful with that.
And I'm making steady progress on the restoration, but now that I'm about done patching the parts of the floor that needed it I was beginning to wonder about what to do about seat belts.
My dad who is helping me with this project has restored a couple of cars in the past, but all the cars he has worked on already had seat belts, and so he's not sure what to do either.

What I would like to know is if any one has any website that would be a good place to get seat belts that would fit a 1955 Oldsmobile, and any advice on how to attach them, such as if I should cut through the floor and attach them directly to the frame or if there is a better way.
Thanks in advance

Sock Thing
Old August 12th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I put seatbelts in the front and rear of my 54 Olds convertible. I used 74 inch belts in the front and 60 inch belts in the back. I got them from Seat Belts Plus. Their pricing was very reasonable ($17.95 for the 74 inch and $16.95 for the 60 inch) in 2013. I just checked their website and they have only gone up $1.00 per belt. They are very nice belts with chrome buckles and are made in the USA. I also bought the hardware kit for each belt that was $2.95 each. I used large fender washers under the floor although they have a piece to use under the floorboard. Be careful picking the spot you drill since you don't want to wind up with a hold over the frame. Here is a link to the Seat Belts Plus website.

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/catego...Seatbelts.html
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:36 PM

Thank you for the link redoldsman that looks like a good option.
So putting a large washer under the floor to spread the force in the event of a crash should work? I wasn't sure if the floor would be thick enough to hold, but like I said I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to putting in seat belts.
Old August 12th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If your floorboards are solid, I think a large fender washer should work and is what I used. Some others may have a differing opinion. Be sure and use a lockwasher between the fender washer and the nut.
Old August 13th, 2018, 10:30 AM

All right then thanks again redoldsman The floorboards back where the seat belts would go are solid, the areas I had to patch were the driver and front passenger floor pans.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I’ve been thinking about seat belts for a long time but since redoldsman just did all the research for me, I just pushed a couple of buttons and bought a couple of sets. Thanks, Glenn!!
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad I could help Frank. These are nice seat belts at a good price. I think you will be pleased. Just be careful when you drill your holes for mounting that you are not drilling directly above the frame.
Glenn