General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2017, 04:15 AM

exhaust

I have a 1972 Cutlass S.

Engine running again, so wife will let me continue with project.

Next in line is to have exhaust installed.

Would like to get a bumper with cutouts for the dual horn exhaust tips.

Cannot afford to purchase bumper and install exhaust at this time.

My assembly manual details the vertical placement of tailpipes for tips.

My issue is that I would like to place exhaust horizontally correctly as well so that when I get the bumper... everything fits. I can turn-down for now and have tips installed at later date.

I need to get this information:
1. Center to center dimension of tailpipe cutouts
2. Dimensional placement of left and right cutout from center of bumper (i.e. are cutouts placed symmetrically on bumper)

Thanks All!
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just use the correct tail pipe hangers for a 442 with the cutout bumper. That's what locates the pipes correctly.

Old September 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM

That is the picture I have also in the Assembly Manual. My exhaust fabricator is wanting the specification so that he can custom build the exhaust.
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:35 AM

Picture also gives me vertical dimension (up and down to clear the bumper), but gives no horizontal dimensions.
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rickbmac
That is the picture I have also in the Assembly Manual. My exhaust fabricator is wanting the specification so that he can custom build the exhaust.
I'm sorry, but you are making this WAAAAY harder than it needs to be. First, the factory hangers are designed to hold the tail pipes in the correct place relative to the cutouts. Install the hangers, bend the pipes to fit, and you're done. Frankly, if you think you can install tailpipes now and then swap the bumper and have them perfectly centered, you are kidding yourself. Expect to have to loosen all the clamps and jiggle everything around to get alignment perfect.

Of course, the bigger question is, why are you even screwing with this? EVERYONE sells pre-bent tailpipes for these cars. Factory style bends or mandrel bends, and diameters from stock 2" up to 3". Pick the ones you want and throw them in place. Done.

If you want a low-buck upgrade over the stock 2", I've used the 2.25" tailpipes for a 1970 GTO. Stock replacement style ones are relatively cheap, and they have downturns. Use the 442 tailpipe hangers and when you get the bumper cut off the downturns and use a section of straight to fit the trumpets. I've done exactly this in the past. Now I use 2.5" mandrel bent exclusively, but that didn't exist in the 1970s.
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks Joe, as always I make things more difficult. I see that the pipes can be installed on the outside of the frame and re-aligned at the later date. Of course this is a 350 car. I just like the look. Wanted the car to have one more bell and whistle to make her shine a bit. The shop is down the road and will be putting in a 2.5" from headers back. From what I understand... it will be similar to the Pypes with an x.