General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Tracing Ownership???

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Tracing Ownership???

I l bought a 1967 Olds car from Nevada without any powertrain at all and had it transported across the country. It had been abandon and struck in a field for decades. I original bought it for the body parts. The guy that sold it to me said he didn't have a title (yeah, I know-big mistake). I wasn't too worried at that time. Because of the need for a donator vehicle. However, now I wanting to actually restoring it and can't find anything out about who actually owned the vehicle through the Nevada DMV. The only things that I have gotten out of the Nevada DMV was that it was titled in 1988 and hasn't had any registrations for a very long time and it's titled in another name. I've checked the National Insurance Database and it not listed as stolen, there's no salvage title issues. So, I'm trying to do this the right and legal way. I heard and read about the Vermont Loop hole. But, my DMV won't accept them. I've tried to research every way possible. The VIN # being only 13 digits hasn't help either.

So, HELP!!! Does anybody know of a way to research title ownership?

Old November 8th, 2021, 07:48 AM

I had to sue the NCSMV for a clear title for my car. It was a simple matter that I did without a lawyer. The town clerk showed me copies of other past suits for title issues. It may be worth inquiring. The DMV did not fight it. My car was reported stolen in 1976 and there were no remaining records. It was assumed that it was recovered but still came up on the national data base. It has been registered many times since then and apparently not every state checks the NDB. There are a lot of cars out there with no titles I would think if you have a letter showing the sale to you it might be okay.
Good Luck,
Steve