General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Finding old car

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Finding old car

Hey everyone,

I need some help if possible. I am looking for my old car by VIN number but the VIN does not meet the 17 digit required number that all of the easy and "free" sites require. It's a '72 Olds Cutlass S, was a family car that got totalled and I am looking for it to see if I can buy it back and restore it. I really hate to bother anyone but any help on finding it would be deeply helpful.

Thank you,
Zac
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Check with your state's SOS - as cars are crushed, they write-off the VIN!
If it was totalled - that's more than likely what happened to it!
You might check with the insurance company that paid you off - it was theirs to do with what they want!
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM

That's because the 17 place vins did not appear until the 80's I believe. If it was totalled, it was probably parted out, and the rest recycled (crushed, shredded).
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM

Hey, in the other thread you started, you didn't mention that the car was totaled! That makes a huge difference. There is no way the car still exists. Why would anybody keep a totaled car? As people have said, it was likely parted out, if there was anything part-able on it, and then crushed.

There is probably a very outside chance that someone felt the way you did, thought it was salvageable, and bought it before it was crushed, but I'm guessing that the odds of that are very low.

You can forget all that stuff I said in the other thread about starting with the person you sold the car to and going forward. I wouldn't know where to start in a situation like yours. It would depend on how long ago this happened. Was it totaled back in 1972 or thereabouts, or was it last year? I'm guessing the former. If that's the case, you car returned to the dust whence it came many years ago.

It's time to find another one just like it and restore that.