General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Stuck on P/S pump

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Captain of my ship

Stuck on P/S pump

Well I am stuck on the setup of the P/S pump and brackets. I believe that the large bracket is hooked up correctly and I can then attach the pump up to it , but I am stuck on how the next middle size bracket hooks up. from what i was told it should attach at the side of the block but there are no holes there. Does it attach at the front of the block/ there are lots of holes there , and then the small bracket is suppose to attach to the first manifold bolt? And then to the middle bracket. There is supposed to be 2 spacers , if so where does the second one go , the first is on the front of block. Somedays I just get this mental block and can't find my way out of this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.jpg (81.7 KB, 17 views)
004.jpg (55.9 KB, 18 views)
003.jpg (64.3 KB, 14 views)
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Captain of my ship

pic

Here is a pic of the motor from side
Attached Images
002.jpg (70.2 KB, 19 views)
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM

If it is like my 400cid which it looks like there is the mounting hole below the #1 cylinder just above the oil pan.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Will this picture help??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/

It gives a small representation on where the rear bracket should go, along with the "mystery spacer" that goes between it and the block...
You appear to have the front bracket on correctly. Not sure about where that small bracket goes.
Does the alt mount above the pump?

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 17th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Captain of my ship

different

Well I think it is different because my alt. is on the other side and the brackets are a little different. I will look for a place on the front of the block tomorrow. Any other inputs are appreciated. thanks for the pic Rob.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM

I think I found it in the assy manual. The small bracket with the 2 holes mounts to the end exhaust manifold bolt. Turn the bracket up and use the top hole for 400-455 engines while the bottom hole is for 350 engines.How it actually mounts to the pump it does not show but I guess it would be obvious at that point.

Last edited by Nilsson; June 17th, 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: better info
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Well I am stuck on the setup of the P/S pump and brackets. I believe that the large bracket is hooked up correctly and I can then attach the pump up to it , but I am stuck on how the next middle size bracket hooks up. from what i was told it should attach at the side of the block but there are no holes there. Does it attach at the front of the block/ there are lots of holes there , and then the small bracket is suppose to attach to the first manifold bolt? And then to the middle bracket. There is supposed to be 2 spacers , if so where does the second one go , the first is on the front of block. Somedays I just get this mental block and can't find my way out of this one.
OK, first, you have a 65-70 full size, which uses different motor mounts than the A-body cars. The bottom PS pump bracket (the RH bracket in your middle photo) is held by the front motor mount bolt on that side. The bracket goes over the motor mount and the bolt goes through both. There may need to be a thin spacer used there, probably about an 1/8" thick washer, between the pump bracket and the motor mount. Again, this is different than the usual A-body mounting method, which has the motor mount in a different location on the block.

The tab sticking out to the right on the bracket in that photo is sandwiched between the front bracket and the front cover of the motor. There should be about a 3/4" spacer between the two brackets and the front cover also. The third hole in that bracket goes over the stud on the bottom rear of the pump itself.

As noted above, the triangular bracket goes from the bolt hole on the outboard edge of the forward bracket to the first bolt on the exhaust manifold. There are two holes on this end of the bracket, one for the SBO and one for the taller BBO.

Note that PS pump brackets are the same for both A/C and non-A/C applications.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Bruce, here's some pictures of a 1968 455 from a Delta Custom. It has one of the brackets still on the engine. Check out the photos and see if this will help some. John

P1010001-1.jpg
A view from the side

P1010002-1.jpg
Looking down from the top

P1010003.jpg
The spacer Joe described
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Captain of my ship

Thanks to everyone Joe , John < Ron and Nilsson for making sense of it . The pics helped immensely John now it makes sense that it bolts on to the motor mount cause I was looking for somewhere else that was dedicated to thatend of the bracket. Thanks Joe I now should be able to figure out where I need to have the other spacer which was not there when it was originally setup. Many thanks to everyone.
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Captain of my ship

Smile Done

Wel I got the P/S pump back on today and all the belts (2) are hooked up. Got the rad and topplate on and working on the trim around the wheels. then I have to put the bumper on etc. etc. thanks again.