General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Starter motor heat sheild ??

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2023, 08:25 AM

Starter motor heat sheild ??

Hi All, iam looking for a diagram or picture on where to install this type of heat shield for our 1969 455 that's in our 1967 442 car, Here it is on eBay, looked for ever last night found one that comes off the motor mount, this is the one i would rather have, I removed one like 35 years ago and there's no way i can remember that, Thanks to anybody out there that has some type of photo on where this goes thanks so much john...............

1964-77 Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 Starter Heat Shield And Brace

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351152351058

Last edited by Olds64; August 15th, 2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old August 15th, 2023, 09:35 AM

No link. Is this the starter shield you were asking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195907304655

I wouldn't use one of those as it's universal.
Old August 15th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Hi Jesse the link should work now, that's not the one, john..
Old August 15th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

That "heat shield" replaces the normal starter strap between the starter motor and the block, using the same bolts as the strap. To be honest, I'm skeptical of starter heat shields. The shield doesn't prevent the passage of heat, it only delays it. At some point the shield is at the same temperature as the exhaust manifold, and the starter sees the same temp it would have without it. Worse, once you turn the engine off, the shield holds heat in the starter, keeping it warmer for a longer period of time pending restart.

Old August 15th, 2023, 03:29 PM

WOW !! Thanks Joe p I always can count on you, i will pass on it then, Long story short i went with the Robb Mc mini starter motor, and used all 0 gauge welding cable from the trunk all the way up to the horn relay, and even from the horn relay down to the solenoid, And 0 Gauge for the negative trunk to frame, The car runs around 180-190 degree's sometimes when it gets hot it gets stubborn, i was thinking of something that could help it, thanks joe, P/S Thanks for the diagram's to..... John.............

Last edited by john mann; August 15th, 2023 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 15th, 2023, 05:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by john mann
WOW !! Thanks Joe p I always can count on you, i will pass on it then, Long story short i went with the Robb Mc mini starter motor, and used all 0 gauge welding cable from the trunk all the way up to the horn relay, and even from the horn relay down to the solenoid, And 0 Gauge for the negative trunk to frame, The car runs around 180-190 degree's sometimes when it gets hot it gets stubborn, i was thinking of something that could help it, thanks joe, P/S Thanks for the diagram's to.....
Yeah, this won't work with an aftermarket starter.
Old August 15th, 2023, 05:39 PM

Got it !! Thanks again Joe for all your help and time, john................
Old August 15th, 2023, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That "heat shield" replaces the normal starter strap between the starter motor and the block, using the same bolts as the strap. To be honest, I'm skeptical of starter heat shields. The shield doesn't prevent the passage of heat, it only delays it. At some point the shield is at the same temperature as the exhaust manifold, and the starter sees the same temp it would have without it. Worse, once you turn the engine off, the shield holds heat in the starter, keeping it warmer for a longer period of time pending restart.
I'm going to beef here. We are not certain that the starter heat shield is the same temp as the exhaust pipe. At some point, the heat in the exhaust and the ambient air will reach an impasse, and that pipe will be as hot as it is going to get. The starter heat shield will absorb a portion of that heat rate, and, at some point, will get as hot as it will get, but I do not believe those two temps are the same. I also do not think the cooling time is increased with a shield that touches at only two points to an appreciable degree.
Old August 16th, 2023, 03:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm going to beef here. We are not certain that the starter heat shield is the same temp as the exhaust pipe. At some point, the heat in the exhaust and the ambient air will reach an impasse, and that pipe will be as hot as it is going to get. The starter heat shield will absorb a portion of that heat rate, and, at some point, will get as hot as it will get, but I do not believe those two temps are the same. I also do not think the cooling time is increased with a shield that touches at only two points to an appreciable degree.
OK, what I should have said is that some point the shield will reach equilibrium temp. That temp is less than that of the manifold, but equivalent to what the starter body would have been. Once the shield reaches equilibrium temp, the back side (towards the starter) will be essentially the same temp as the front side. The majority of the heat transfer to (and from) the starter body is radiative and convective, not conductive. With the engine off, the shield blocks the radiative and convective cooling of the starter, increasing the time it takes for the starter to cool back down.
Old August 16th, 2023, 04:33 AM

Makes you wonder if the OP wants a starter heat shield because it's so SHINY (I'm guilty of this in the past)? Or does he have a hot no-start condition?

Oldsguy and my late mother told me stories about the hot no-start condition Oldsguy's 71 Cutlass S had 35+ years ago.

Is a hot no-start because of a poor quality starter, misadjusted timing or something else? FWIW, I have long tube headers on the 455 in my 71 98 and I've never had a hot no-start. I did have a starter blanket for awhile. It was pretty SHINY in that Summit or Jegs catalog though.

Last edited by Olds64; August 16th, 2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old August 16th, 2023, 05:03 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, it was the classic starter heat related problem caused by headers. Back then we didn't have the inter-web at our disposal to find racing realated equipment such as mini-starters or high performance stuff. Sure it was out there but not as easily available. That car would decide not to start at the most inoportune times, quite embarassing.