General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

SBO Power steering for street rod

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2019, 12:54 PM

SBO Power steering for street rod

Not sure if this is in the right section but here goes: I have a 70-72 Olds 350 mounted in a 1940's narrow nosed street rod. My issue is the mounting of a power steering pump which normally would be out past the girth of the block by a bit. I need something to fit closer to the engine as I don't have the space as the engine compartment narrows in at that point. Of course I can find many conversions for Chevy and Ford. Not yet interested in electric steering because of the high cost and I would have to redo much of what I have done. Any advice or a link to a supplier would be appreciated. At least give me credit for the use of an Olds engine! Thanks.

Old October 16th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Administrator

There are a few remote reservoir style PS pump kits out there KRC is one that comes to mind. 1966 BBC Borgeson remote pumps and reservoirs are also an option. You'll probably have to mod an existing bracket or make your own. Pictures are for reference and not for a particular vehicle.

Old October 19th, 2019, 08:14 AM

Or a first generation PS pump (303 324 371) could be adapted, they set behind the fan pulley and inset sorta in the middle of the engine. I'm not sure about size of the belts compared to what you are using now but when completed it may add a little nostalgic look and be all Old's, If you need a picture I probably can find one.... Tedd
Old October 19th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Remote reservoir Saginaw pumps were used on most 1980s Chevy full size pickups. One of those is likely a lot less expensive than an aftermarket kit.
Old October 21st, 2019, 07:45 AM

That will be tough.
There are "N" pumps, which are "dry" pumps. Basically the guts of a saginaw plumbed for remote reservoir. I gave those a try but were always very noisy. The stock brackets are still quite large and might cause problems. Some mid-80's Cadillac used them? Diesels it looks like. E.g. CARDONE 20875. While the pump mounting is very similar to the normal P pump, it is not identical. I was able to cut apart and re-weld some brackets easily enough.

You can also get a normal P pump in a mini-can that's just large enough to hold the pump and uses a remote reservoir. But you have clearance problems on the side, not the top. This is the type of pump Joe is talking about, e.g. CARDONE 208714

Looks to me like you might have to go to a Type II pump. I've yet to find a bracket set for Olds for Type II pumps.

So regardless which route you're going, you'll probably be making custom brackets.
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:11 PM

Didn't some of the early 60's olds mount the PS pump real high on the driver side? Might have something useful there? Probably not, but maybe?
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:46 PM

I'm going back to manual steering and try that. May be ok as engine is behind the front axle. Can always add back if not happy. Thanks all.