General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Roof rail weatherstrip install

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Roof rail weatherstrip install

This is on a 69 442 Hardtop. Is there any trick to installing the Roof Rail WS (SofSeal)as it goes around the plastic window guide at the front corner of the roof rail and pillar. I test fit it yesterday and it seemed to be in a little bit of a bind as it went around the guide. This may be normal. I thought it might fit completely under the guide, but that did not look right at all. By that I mean putting the upper part of the seal (that fits on top of the window) under the guide also.
If I just keep the seal in the channel all the way around the guide, it fits fine but it justs has a little bit of an indention as it goes around. Any tricks or special way to do this?

Last edited by rsandhoff; April 15th, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Needed to list type of car
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Looks like you never got an answer to this question, or,did you?
I have the exact same issue on my '72. Its never had a decent weatherstrip, so I have no reference for my new one. One thing I know is, it isnt just stick it in with some sealant like so many people's experiences here.....
Any help would be great!
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There is a channel for the weather stripping to install into and that needs to be cleaned out. Any old material in there including adhesive will affect the fit of your new weather strip. Yes you are supposed to use an adhesive to bond it to the metal - like 3M weather stripping glue. Just one thing though. The new weather strip may have mold release agent (from production) in small quantities. Clean or rough the bonding surface lightly with a cleaner or 80 grit sandpaper to ensure adhesion. Most of the weather strip kits for A bodies are easy to install.

If your weather strip around the roof rail needs replacing you probably need it all the way around the car, (doors, trunk) and likely need new quarter glass rubber too. All those changes will seal the car up nicely from elements and reduce road noise. How are the window fuzzies?
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:24 AM

I did all exactly as you say, Allan. Cleaned out the old w.strip completely, used the 3M 8008 weatherstrip adhesive, and ran it in the channel. Oh, I didnt rough it up, too late now I guess. It was a no brainer, except where it makes the turn from the pillar, to the roof, it dosent look right behind that guide thing. It also seems to be too large for the two clip things. I have to squish them quite a bit to get them into the clips. I am looking everyday for an olds, so I can compare.
I replaced the door panels, inner & outer door glass weather strip, door weather strip, quarter glass strips, and have yet to install the trunk weather strip.
I feel at a disadvantage with my ride some times. So much of my car was dismantled years ago, and I have to figure every little thing out. Gets frustrating. Im glad I found this site.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I just went and snapped a pic of the weather strip on my 72. (It's basically the same to install as a 69 since you don't have a vent window like the 68)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3124.jpg (50.6 KB, 409 views)
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Wow, mine looks simular, but bigger. My seal is larger. Thats why its squeezed into that same clip I see in your photo. I checked the package from Soft Seal, looks correct, but its different from yours. now I have to figure out how to post the pic......
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM

.....standby..... still working on this...........
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I probably should tell you that the weather strip in that picture is genuine OEM. It was installed in 1986 and is still going strong. That may be why your soft seal stripping looks slightly different.
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:10 PM

Hi are those aftermarket weatherstrips. If so what brand are they.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:23 PM

Mine are Softseal
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM

I just drove my Olds 30 miles to a car show (a car show that last year had 3500 cars turn out, but I only found 3 Oldsmobiles), with my "new" weatherstripping howling the whole way.
I would really like a weatherstripping expert (whoever he may be) to chime in with info that helps us with crusty old crap, that needs to be replaced. Brand names & part numbers!!
Anyway, by the time I figure this all out, that expert may be me.........
Old January 18th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gone Johnson
I just drove my Olds 30 miles to a car show (a car show that last year had 3500 cars turn out, but I only found 3 Oldsmobiles), with my "new" weatherstripping howling the whole way.
I would really like a weatherstripping expert (whoever he may be) to chime in with info that helps us with crusty old crap, that needs to be replaced. Brand names & part numbers!!
Anyway, by the time I figure this all out, that expert may be me.........
Are you an expert yet? I am dreading this front corner issue. I wonder if it could be cut and glued to make your own molder corner? I know the front can not be moved but if cut the back would still be long enough I think?
Maybe cut at a 45 degree angle from two dirrections and glued back together?
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Nope....Ive just left it like it is. Ive seen a few now, & my WS is the only "fat" style I've seen. So, Ive decided Im going to replace it, with the o.e.m. kind like in Allan's pictures (if possible), but I want to see it before I buy it now...... so I'm gonna wait til I see those Soft Seal guys at the next car show.
I never could get a pic on here of my situation. Im gonna try again.