General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Radio Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2021, 09:57 AM

Radio Installation Help

Ok I'm nearing the end of a 18 year restoration but having trouble with the following and it doesn't help that I found out the two Assembly Manuels I've purchased over the years are incomplete!

Issue 1:

Radio - I bought the rear speaker "Blue" wire. Radio end has a male connector that should plug into a female connector and the rear is a bare female connector. Where on the radio do this connect (AM/FM) The radio has 3 lugs one is the front speaker and the other is the ground and they are in a three wire plug. Then that plug should receive the "Yellow" power wire.

Issue 2:

How are the rear support radio bracket (s) connected? My Assembly Manual list two different part numbers I definitely have 397579 then I have another which is a 90 degree bracket but not the same as that shown.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old September 17th, 2021, 10:54 AM

What year 442? AM/FM mono or stereo? One piece radio or 2 piece radio? Is there a paper tag sticker with #'s on on the radio and what are they?
Old September 17th, 2021, 01:29 PM

Sorry should have included. 1969 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible A/C, Mono AM/FM. No stickers. Nevertheless I revisited my Assembly manual and it clearly shows the rear speaker "Blue" pig tail on the radio. The end of the pigtail is a clear mall connector with a female brass connector and that is what my radio has and there is no sign of anyone ever changing it. I bought what was supposed to be the correct "Blue" rear speaker wire. I even question the seller as to what end went toward the radio. I was able to change the fitting on the wire I purchased.......just one more AH selling the incorrect product.

Still not sure about the bracket. Thanks for your response, Al
Old September 17th, 2021, 01:56 PM

There should be a stud on the bottom of the radio for the ---579 bracket held on with a pal nut. The other end attaches to the dash plastic with small silver hex screw. Have to stand on your head to see what you are doing.
Old September 17th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Ok, There is a stud on the bottom of the radio and I'm fully aware of standing on my head and I think I'm familiar the location on the plastic, but the 579 is correct? I'll give it a try tomorrow...its happy hour(s) Thanks for the response. Al
Old September 17th, 2021, 07:04 PM

The blue ,rear speaker wire plugs into the blue wire on the right side of the radio. The 579 is the correct bracket and the long end goes onto the radio and the short end goes to the dash as shown in the picture above.
Old September 17th, 2021, 10:29 PM

Ok, here's a full size, but same idea. Olds radios came in single speaker mono, biphonic mono, and stereo. The single speaker mono and biphonic speaker mono, which is what you want, are the same radio. Looking at the picture below, see the two blue wires in front. Those are the front and back speakers. See the dirty cloth wire, that's the actual speaker feed. These go to the front for one reason, which we'll get to. Pull your tuning ****, and the blank **** off behind it, and you should see three holes in a column, with a tiny jumper between the middle and one of the other two. That's single speaker mono. It comes out the middle, then out the blue wire to the 3 wire plug in the back, one speaker, done. Swap the jumper, and your rear speaker is now active and the front is not.

So, there was a potentiometer with three pins that went in all three of those called the biphonic stereo adapter. It looked like a fader **** in front, and you plugged it in there and it did that, albeit electronically externally to the radio. You can see it in the picture, that's what those three pins are, it goes in the middle, and out the top and bottom for the front and rear signals, in proportion to what you dial.

Poor man's version is to just jumper all three together behind the dummy ****. Make sure that doesn't short anything.