General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Please help me buying tools!

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2020, 07:55 PM

Please help me buying tools!

I want to buy a pretty high quality and complete set of sae/inch tools to work on my american cars.
(I only need SAE/inch tools, i have all the other tools like screw drivers, hammers, metric wrenches/sockets and stuff like that.)

Was looking myself already and came up with this two sets:
https://www.dewalt.com/products/hand...-set/dwmt75049
https://www.bgstechnic.com/en/catalo.../458668/page/9

Would also buy a set of wrenches, a torque wrench and a breaker bar.

Both sets above have a good variety of ratchets, sockets, extensions and joints.
But each set also has stuff the other does not.
The dewalt set also includes metric tools which i dont need at all. Anyway i like the selection of extensions a bit better.
It also has some socket sizes not available in the other set. (and vice versa)

Right now im not sure what set to buy or if there is a even better one (better quality, including more tools).
I dont really know where to look for tools.
I found the BGS set with google and the dewalt set on scotty kilmers amazon page.
Maybe you guys know some alternatives, maybe even better sets and brands?

No matter if just swapping tires or an engine.
I would like to have the right tool for the job.
Old July 28th, 2020, 08:38 PM
72 Olds CS

if you already have rachets and extensions your happy w something like this is a start. I have a set of these in metric im happy w the sockets are well marked and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/impacto-profundidad-pulgadas-vanadio-4880/dp/B000NPR34S/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=sae+sockets&qid=1595993540&sr=8-26 https://www.amazon.com/impacto-profundidad-pulgadas-vanadio-4880/dp/B000NPR34S/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=sae+sockets&qid=1595993540&sr=8-26

if you have a walmart near you they have a bunch of different tools there the bigger ones have a better selection. Ive bought stanley and dewalt tools there that are good quality
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:08 PM

Whatever you buy, get the tools that will do the job you are doing. Don't get caught up in buying a name that will cost three times as much as what you need. I still have tool sets from when I first started working on mechanical stuff and I didn't pay a lot of money. They have lasted over 65 years. Take care of what you buy and they will last forever.
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:11 PM

I would really like to purchase a pretty comprehensive set like the ones above.
The stuff that we have belongs to my dad and it would be good to have my own set of tools.

Last edited by Michael_; July 28th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
...Don't get caught up in buying a name that will cost three times as much as what you need...
If he buys cheap ones, he would be practicing false economy, as soon as they break
Originally Posted by edzolz
...I still have tool sets from when I first started working on mechanical stuff and I didn't pay a lot of money. They have lasted over 65 years...
Those were the good ol' days when you really didn't have a choice to buy slipshod junk from half way around the planet. I still have everything I bought early in life. If I were to buy duplicates, it would cost me a fortune, at today's prices. A unit of measurement betraying true inflation is the cost of domestically-made tools, comparing identicle items produced back when initially bought.
I'd suggest visitting garage sales and flea markets. There should be plenty of used quality tools available there.
The ratchets themselves are all either 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4". Even for metric sockets. In which case, since Craftsman issues are no longer available (Snap-On, also?), you could count on foreign manufacturers of ratchets, as long as they're not made in You Know Where:

https://www.kctoolco.com/Hazet/

I haven't yet owned any of these. But, I haven't yet heard anything bad about them. Unlike Hazets, you might want to examine these closely, to make sure they're not made in undesireable places:

https://www.misterworker.com/en/facom

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; July 29th, 2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Personally, I only buy older US-made Craftsman tools at swap meets. There's nothing wrong with used hand tools that have been properly taken care of. There are a lot of deals to be had on Craigslist and FB Marketplace.
Old July 29th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Michael, where do you live? I'm guessing somewhere outside the US where SAE tools may not be common.

Like Joe, I've taken to buying well-cared-for older tools at estate auctions and flea markets. I've bought big-name tools that way that I could never have afforded otherwise.

I like researching the history of some of these tool companies too, and have found that tools I had thought were kinda second-tier were actually very well made and had been around for decades. Fleet (1946) and Husky (1924) come to mind. I buy up all the decent Wizard hand tools I can find too. That was Western Auto house brand and are nicely made.

I get some satisfaction out of cleaning up these old tools, and especially from cleaning old dried grease out of a ratchet and lubing it so it works like new. I use "Super Lube" multi-purpose synthetic grease for that. Harbor Freight has it.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 29th, 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:28 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I second swap-meet, garage sale, craigslist, old school tool harvest. You will find all the top brands made in USA cheap. German, Swiss, Japanese are other good sources.

Proto, Amstrong, SnapOn, Stanley, MAC, Craftsman, Matco are a few that come to mind. Enter these brand names the search engine. You may find an individual retiring or switching professions willing to let a collection go cheap.

IMO offshore chineasuim just isn't worth it for regular mid to high level use. This also keeps the money in the right spot.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:48 AM

You may find that trying to find a comprehensive tool kit leads you to spending more and winding up with a lot of tools you'll never actually use. The fasteners sizes in any car are fairly limited in quantity. Find a good, small set of the basics, then add to it as necessary for your specific needs. As mentioned by others, garage sales, flea markets and pawn shops are all excellent sources of quality brand, single item at low prices.
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I have a set of these in metric im happy w the sockets are well marked and durable.
https://www.amazon.com/impacto-profu...993540&sr=8-26 https://www.amazon.com/impacto-profu...993540&sr=8-26
x2

I have 2 Tekton torque wrenches and a bench vise. They make good tools for the money.
Old July 29th, 2020, 12:08 PM
72Cutlass S

I won that 192 piece Dewalt set at a company Christmas raffle. The quality of the tools is pretty good.
Old July 29th, 2020, 01:07 PM

I've been a tool 'collector' for forty+ years. I used to buy US made Craftsman, but once I turned pro, I found I could actually wear out 1/2 and 9/16 sockets and wrenches in just a few months. I got into the tool truck guys in a big way, and all the Snap On, Matco and Mac tools I have still work and grip great. One feature to look for is flank drive. Tool truck brands and SK have it for sure, maybe others. Flank drive grabs the flats of the hex, not the corners. Helps with stuborn and rusty hardware. I had a lot of my tools stolen years back so I replaced them with used sets from swap meets and Ebay. Kept the cost down and still got good tools.
Tim
Old July 29th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes i live in germany where inch sized tools are pretty rare while metric ones are all over the place.
So i most likely have to buy new.

My dad also still has some very old tools he bought back in the days still functioning properly.
But unfortunately as has been pointed out thats not the case with almost any "consumer grade" products available these days anymore.

I won that 192 piece Dewalt set at a company Christmas raffle. The quality of the tools is pretty good.
Thanks thats good to know!

Proto, Amstrong, SnapOn, Stanley, MAC, Craftsman, Matco
I got into the tool truck guys in a big way, and all the Snap On, Matco and Mac tools I have still work and grip great.
Thanks i will look into them!

What about this set?
https://www.bgstechnic.com/en/catalo.../458668/page/9

Its from a german brand and available locally at a resonable price.
I just dont know if it has all socket sizes and everything i need in general?
As i said it got some sizes the dewalt set does not have, but also the other way around.

Last edited by Michael_; July 29th, 2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Oldsdruid

I have a set of GEDORE brand SAE combination wrenches, probably from 1960s.

My research found these were made by the largest toolmaking company in Europe, so unless they were made specifically for export market, you should be able to find SAE-sized set.
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:38 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

tmaleck agreed on the flank drive. Works almost as good as the fire wrench!

S&K at least the old stuff is right up there as well.
Old July 29th, 2020, 06:05 PM

I predict lots of responses to this thread!
I personally like impact sockets even for hand use. They grip on the flats of the hex as opposed to the corners and hence are less likely to damage the fastener. I bought some Milwaukee SAE sockets and they seem to be very nice quality, time will tell. A little thinner wall for tight spaces. Also bought some CDI torque wrenches. They only get occasional use so I won't be a good durability tester. I did show them to my mechanical engineer friend at work, between him and his twin mechanical engineer brother they have a mountain of automotive tools. He was impressed by them.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:17 PM

Isn't "flank drive" just a 6 point socket ? Impact sockets are just 6 point sockets.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:59 PM

Others here are certainly more knowledgeable on the differences than myself. My understanding is Flank Socket is Snap-Ons product where the inside corners are relieved so contact occurs on the flats. The impact sockets I own have that feature, besides being of a less brittle material than standard sockets.
Old July 30th, 2020, 06:05 AM

I stand informed and corrected. I've never owned any Snap On. Thank you. Impact sockets can have thicker walls and are heat treated and tempered.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; July 30th, 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Oldsdruid

I've actually seen Cornwell 12 point impacts and remember thinking what good is that.

Not sure if SnapOn holds a patent on Flank Drive or if it's just their marketing term. I think Craftsman and S-K had a similar design.

My thing with buying from tool trucks is: if you're making a living with them you can justify the expense. For hobby use, you can't unless like me you've found them in good used condition for pennies on the dollar of original cost.

I sure do miss the old Snap-On jobber here though. "Happy Snappy" George Sieg was a good man who didn't deserve all the tragedy he went thru last ten years of his life. To show how well-regarded he was a lot of the garages he serviced closed to attend his funeral.
Old July 30th, 2020, 09:23 AM

Old SK - Wayne stuff from 60's to early 70's their tappered 1/2" drive sockets were one of the best sockets of that generation.. Sets on ebay. really great. Proto even better! Proto Ratchet also makes a good club.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; July 30th, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by briane
Others here are certainly more knowledgeable on the differences than myself. My understanding is Flank Socket is Snap-Ons product where the inside corners are relieved so contact occurs on the flats. The impact sockets I own have that feature, besides being of a less brittle material than standard sockets.
What he said. I believe the patent on flank drive has expired, but it is not a feature all tools have.
Old August 1st, 2020, 01:02 AM

Here's my faithful Herbrand 1/2" ratchet of which I bought used as I still resided in the Metro Detroit area. "Herbrand Freemont O U.S.A." is what's engraved on it

I'd stay away from any of these quarter inchers, however. I bought this from a Matco truck and it wasn't long until I had to confront the seller with warranty issues. He then handed me a rebuild kit, at no cost. But, it didn't help for long:

This K - D is okay. I haven't used them that much (I have two of them in differing size applications). But, they seem solid

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; August 1st, 2020 at 01:20 AM.
Old August 1st, 2020, 02:57 AM
Lansing built

I have a variety of wrenches, I have for standard open and boxed Craftsman pro series longer and polished chrome. My angle wrenches are from MAC tools and my 1 1/16" throught 1 5/8" are snap-on and so are my ignition wrenches. Sockets are the same way, K-tool for my half inch drive and Snap-on for 3/8". Regular socket set is an 30 year old 163 piece set with a blow mold case great for service calls or throwing into the trunk for a road trip. The 3/8" drive ratchet has been replaced 3 times under warranty due to being used the hell out of. Screw drivers are Craftsmen pro series big handles and longer than the standard and all black in color.

Pat
Old August 1st, 2020, 10:31 AM
Oldsdruid

My best bud is always on the lookout for Herbrand tools. We go swap-meetin' he looks for that and I look for Wizard. We both look for any older and interesting tools. I kinda like PLOMB tools but so does every other tool junkie so they can get $$$. Thru a series of mergers and acquisitions PLOMB/Fleet exists today as Stanley Black & Decker/Proto. Proto itself started around 1957.

I picked up a bunch of SK Wayne tapered 1/2" sockets cheap at an auction last year. They were in a Craftsman hiproof box along with a lot of other wonderful old tools.
Old August 1st, 2020, 10:46 AM
Oldsdruid

1/4 drive has its place and even though I have beaucoups of it, I rarely use it. But sometimes it's all that will work.

My bud found a 1/4 drive Blue Point air impact at Carlisle a few years back and had to have it. I said what the hell are you going to do with that. His answer? "Probably set it on the shelf and look at it. When have you ever seen one?" Cannot argue with tool junkie logic.

I've started noticing older NAPA/Blackhawk and Easco wrenches too. Wish all this stuff had been around when I was a teenager! Everyone that had it was using it and there were no flea markets or pawn shops around here back then. And God himself couldn't have saved me from Mama's wrath if she'd ever found out I went into a pawn shop.😬
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Someone mentioned flank drive as being "same" as 6pt sockets/wrenches. Clse but not the same. Around 1995 or so I started using 6pt tools as they gripped stubborn fasteners better. I slowly weeded out most of my 12pt stuff. Since I got into old tools I find myself accumulating 12pt stuff again.

Is there a support group for tool junkies? Hi I'm Glenn and I'm addicted...
Old August 1st, 2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Old SK - Wayne stuff from 60's to early 70's their tapered 1/2" drive sockets were one of the best sockets of that generation.. Sets on ebay. really great. Proto even better! Proto Ratchet also makes a good club.
SK - Wayne Tapered sockets will fit in tight places. Where no other will. Clearance around nut. Yet not break even with a 3 foot pipe over the breaker bar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Pc-SK-Wa...wAAOSwUxhexGYF

Proto Ratchet has many more gear teeth. Catch tooth at the slightest turn of ratchet. Super helpful in tight places. Firm and not sloppy. Proto strong!. Why it has the big club like head.

Old August 13th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Teng tools may be worth a shot. They are based in GB i think. I cannot personally attest to the quality, and they are a little pricey. They offer lots of organization sets with their tools which is the reason i've been wanting to try some myself

https://www.tengtools.com/r/de/de?change-region=X
Old August 13th, 2020, 11:54 AM
Oldsdruid

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I see a 31/32 socket in the pic, and I have 25/32 and 29/32 box wrenches and sockets that came with auction and swap meet sets. Those are really odd sizes though I'm sure something used them. AACA guys have said 29/32 is for Ford flathead rod bolts.
Old August 13th, 2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I see a 31/32 socket in the pic, and I have 25/32 and 29/32 box wrenches and sockets that came with auction and swap meet sets. Those are really odd sizes though I'm sure something used them. AACA guys have said 29/32 is for Ford flathead rod bolts.
Run into odd sizes every so often. Is is nice to have the right socket. Here is a nice set https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Pc-S-K-Wayne-1-2-Dr-W-1-4-Spinner-Socket-Set/233674624337?hash=item366817cd51:gOcAAOSwv-NfHK-A

Old August 13th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Unusual to find the set intact and in it's original box. That's what we meant about well-cared-for older tools. No problem for me owning something like that! Tools, like cars, need caretakers.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 09:45 AM

If you know tools well you can try to find some quality used tools, but you need to know what to look for in wear, ratchet mechanisms, socket tooth wear, wrench sizing, extension detent ball tension, etc.
If you aren't experienced at that you will get burned and end up with a good brand that is worn out/too loose...

If you want a "pretty high quality" set you should shoot for something made in the USA. Don't know German or European stuff which is likely good by not as common.

Snap-On, Matco, MAC are three names that are well known, commonly available, and warranty is no problem. They are PRICEY. They are professional grade tools. You won't find them at Home Depot or the local discount mart.

Your local PRIVATELY owned auto parts store may carry a good brand that they will warranty directly for you, it may or may not be USA made. It will not be cheap either if it's a quality tool.

Old September 2nd, 2020, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 62 Cutlass Convert
...Don't know German or European stuff which is likely good by not as common...
When I was working at a VW shop back in the early 80's, a HAZET (German) truck used to stop by. The tools weren't expensive, because the exchange rate used to be 3 Deutsche Marks for 1 Dollar. Now that I've been in Germany, these tools have become what appears to be extremely expensive. In reality, the tools themselves haven't changed. Rather, the currency has inflated to the point to where anything made outside of Asia has become unaffordable.
I haven't yet had any problems with my old HAZETs
Old September 3rd, 2020, 06:48 AM

Hey those Hazet tools look nice, still distributed in the US but really pricey. Snapon type prices i guess. Although I haven’t ckd snapon prices lately, beyond what i want to spend.

Old September 3rd, 2020, 10:39 PM

Even back then when I bought my Hazets, I used to think that Snap-Ons were also pricey, when comparing their prices with Proto and the others