General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Need help with Sheet metal parts

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2021, 04:27 AM

Need help with Sheet metal parts

Help....
I am looking for a rear, inner wheel housing replacement (passenger side) for my 66' 442. Auto Metal Direct (AMD) sells the inner wheel house just for the Chevelle, GTO, Skylark, and Cutlass. If I select the 442 they say it doesn't fit. This makes no sense to me as I thought all 64-67 A body GM cars were identical. Maybe an Oldsmobile expert here on Classic Oldsmobile might be able to explain the differences to me?? BTW at OldsParts.com, their listing for the inner wheel housing states: "Fits Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, & 442 hardtops and convertibles."... and they cost $30 more?? Thanks in advance! ~Dave...

Old April 4th, 2021, 05:07 AM

It's the same part.
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by forstatd
Help....
I am looking for a rear, inner wheel housing replacement (passenger side) for my 66' 442. Auto Metal Direct (AMD) sells the inner wheel house just for the Chevelle, GTO, Skylark, and Cutlass. If I select the 442 they say it doesn't fit. This makes no sense to me as I thought all 64-67 A body GM cars were identical. Maybe an Oldsmobile expert here on Classic Oldsmobile might be able to explain the differences to me?? BTW at OldsParts.com, their listing for the inner wheel housing states: "Fits Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, & 442 hardtops and convertibles."... and they cost $30 more?? Thanks in advance! ~Dave...

More to the point, for the 1964-67 cars, the 442 wasn't even a separate model. It was an option package on Cutlass and F85 models, depending on the year. People need to realize that on-line catalogs are NOT accurate parts books, and the vendors typically do not have the knowledge of these cars to know when their listings are incorrect. Even if you tell them of an error, they rarely correct it.
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

One other thing to keep in mind is that most of the repro inner sheet metal panels like that are correct for a Chevelle. They are usually close enough for an Olds, but frequently there are minor differences from OEM. Unfortunately this is the best you can get today.
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Thanks Joe & 66SportCoupe... Happy Easter!
Is there any truth to the fact that they also say they won't fit the 66' convertible?
~Dave..
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by forstatd
Thanks Joe & 66SportCoupe... Happy Easter!
Is there any truth to the fact that they also say they won't fit the 66' convertible?
~Dave..
The factory parts book shows a different P/N for convertibles. This may be due to added bracing or other shaping.
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:51 AM

Perfect!