General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

leak

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM

leak

A 71 Cutlass rag top that we bought last November. Its a 10 year old frame off resto with bout 10k miles on it. It was originally a 350, that was swapped out to a 455 when the resto was done. I have put about 1000 miles on it without any leaks of any kind. After a recent short road trip, we noticed oil under the car and seemily sprayed around the right side engine bank. May or may not have had antifreeze mixed in. Recently replaced oil with Valvoline synthetic and have driven about 500 miles with no problems. Cannot pinpoint where leak is coming from but it seems to only leak when giving it gas. The radiator and oil are still full and the dip stick still showing oil very clean and fresh. Any ideas would be helpful. Hopefully, its something simple? Thanks to all my fellow drivers.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Past Administrator

Clean the engine and drive it a short distance to cause it to leak, then bring it back in and inspect it. You might be able to find the source that way. If you haven't noticed a loss of oil volume in the pan then it can't be too much. Maybe a leaky valve cover gasket? Or a clogged PCV system, is the valve good?
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Why not have someone else rev the motor while you look for visible leak...truth be told, at first I thought I had an oil leak on the right side too too but it turned out to be power steering fliud from a busted pressure line....which wouldn't explain your 'when giving it gas' scenario but maybe you're mistaken and it's when you're giving it gas but also turning.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Thanks guys! Its actually on the passenger side.
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM

check the oil filter for tightness and the oil filter adapter gasket at the block
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM

leak

thanks blk71sx, filter tight, but will check gasket.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM

blk71sx, good lookin car ya got there.
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Oldsdruid

Had the engine leaked any before changing to synthetic oil? Sometimes, an engine with some miles on it will start leaking if it's changed to synthetic, but a 10k mile engine shouldn't have seen any ill effects. It's usually engines with 40-50k or more that do it.

If it's on passenger side, check all your trans cooler lines very closely.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM

On My 350 I think The oil filter adapter bolts are blind.Make sure the bolts aren't to long.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM

leak

thanks for the tip railguy. putting it in the shop. let ya all know what i find out. hope going to synthetic oil isnt problem, but some think it may shrink older gaskets. rebuild isnt that old, but who knows? maybe going back to conventional oil will swell them back, if thats the case? guess i'll find out.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM

Check out my post titled "High oil pressure oil leak" posted on the tech editors desk. This probably isn't your problem but its something to think about.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM

leak

well, my on personal oil spill has been pluged. when i first saw the oil all over the place, i crawled all over (and under )that thing looking for where it was coming from. my wife comes out, points at the fuel pump an says "i think its coming from that thing." i say noway honey thats the fuel pump, and has nothing to do with it. later she says again "i think its coming from that gas thing." i say, "just go get me abeer." well guess what? the leak was coming from that gas thing. now i got a brand new "gas thing" and a life time of hearing what agenious she is, and what a dummy i am. so, iwant to thank all for your imput, but i guessfrom now on i will just go to her first. if you all have any problems she has signed on to classicolds as gypsygirl. really. thanks again.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Never doubt a woman's intuition ; )