Broken Center console/hinge and BIG RAIN LEAK!

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

Broken Center console/hinge and BIG RAIN LEAK!

Currently restoring a '71 Cutlass Supreme convertible---getting ready to tear out the interior and have two looming issues: Years ago I busted the door off the center console by leaning over on it too hard---the hinge ripped of where it screws into the console, effectively destroying it. Do I have to replace the whole console? Or just the box (it looks like two pieces). Either way OPG, Fusick, etc. don't have replacements for the '71 (auto). Any ideas?
Waterproof issue---when it rains, I get water literally pooling in the front floor pan, mainly passenger side. The convert top does not appear to leak, so I figure it's going down the inside of the door or behind the dash. Much thanks to any help!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM

The console hinge is a common problem. If you have all the parts you can try using epoxy to glue it, or replace that portion of the console. The console consists of several different pieces, but finding someone with a good storage compartment and broken rest of console may be hard. You can post a parts wanted ad here and on 442.com and realoldspower.com All three sites have free parts wanted ads. You can also watch ebay as these consoles come up pretty often, but ebay can be expensive sometimes. The water leak, you might check the windshield frame near the dashboard. If it has a rust hole you may not be able to see it without pulling the stainless trim, or maybe even the glass. I have seen cars without rust anywhere else have it around the windshield.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Past Administrator

There also might be water getting into the car from the panel under the vents by the windshield wiper arm pivots. Your car has those vents there right? That panel below may have rusted someplace or the drain for it might be leaking inside instead of draining outside the car. My f85 is leaking like that and I haven't found it yet but I am sure that is where it is coming from. Fortunately for me it only happens on a real downpour.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info---much appreciated!
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Past Administrator

So, what did you find out? Where is that water coming from?
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

It's usually the windshield.

A leaky windshield can be tricky to detect(it doesn't always drip down from the top) It can run down the sides & then behind or beside the dash, or sometimes into the dash vents & down through the air system. Check it when the car is dry by pouring a controlled flow of water onto each spot & then check inside. It's a process of elimination, but start with the windshield. I'd say 90% of the time that is where we find the problem. Good luck!