General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

inside decklid coating?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2015, 06:29 AM

inside decklid coating?

What is the best thing to coat the inside of a 69 decklid with? I was going to pour rust incapsulator inside and rotate it around. Or is there something I can buy that is for doing this? Thanks in advance
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The factory didn't do any interior coatings, why would you even worry about this? Just spray with primer and paint.
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:45 AM

Rust never sleeps

Because they rust from the inside out caused by condensation. Someone a while back on this forum suggested KROIL OIL.
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:59 AM

ng

Originally Posted by Majic Jack
Because they rust from the inside out caused by condensation. Someone a while back on this forum suggested KROIL OIL.
Hey:
I totally agree with coating the inside of the decklid, especially along the seams. Seeing what I paid for a rust free decklid and hood for my 66 Cutlass, with the money and man hours I've put into it so far I'll do whatever it takes to help preserve it. I see it as money well spent and protecting my investment.
Thanks, Ron
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:05 AM

I have always poured some epoxy primer in there and tried to swish it around the best I could to get in the corners.
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:45 AM

I have poured coatings around the seams and into the holes on the skeleton and blew it around with air. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt.
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

LPS #2 or fluid film or take it to zeibart have them squirt it with their wax like substance. Make sure its all finished with paint n primer before you do any of this.
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:13 AM
Bfg

I use my old oil from oil changes. I pour it in the bottom of my doors and fenders. No rust yet.
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Majic Jack
In Texas you hardly have an issue with rustout from condensation. I still have the OEM deck lid my car came from and there's not enough light surface rust on the inside of the deck lid to consider as even being rust and that's after it was painted back in 86. It never had any additives swirled around inside the deck lid either.

My car is always stored inside under a car cover but not in climate controlled perfection and it's lasting just fine.
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:37 PM

I have used POR 15 numerous times inside trunk lids as they habitually rust where the water settles in the top & bottom seams. I pour into a cup, pour into the framing & rotate the lid around being sure paint runs out of seams & drain holes. After it dries then use a rust inhibiting product (wax from nearly any body product mfg, Fluid Film, etc. aerosol w/straw). Make sure you don't block the draIn holes & have multiple layers of paper on floor to catch the runoff.
Old June 21st, 2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
In Texas you hardly have an issue with rustout from condensation. I still have the OEM deck lid my car came from and there's not enough light surface rust on the inside of the deck lid to consider as even being rust and that's after it was painted back in 86. It never had any additives swirled around inside the deck lid either.

My car is always stored inside under a car cover but not in climate controlled perfection and it's lasting just fine.
I grew up on the Gulf Coast and I can attest to the fact these deck lids will rust along the bottom edge from the inside out. Rain and high humidity/condensation are killers. The moisture collects under the lip and doesn't evaporate.
My 1970 Supreme deck lid rusted out so badly in 1982 that I replaced it with a new one because I couldn't find a non-rusted through one at any of the local salvage yards. I poured Rustoleum paint in the inside of the new one and rotated it around until paint came out all the corners; that replacement was rusting through by 1998.
I had to replace the lid on the '71 when I got it in 1990 due to the entire lower edge being rusted through (it had lived its life up til then in the Houston area).

Last edited by Fun71; June 21st, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I guess my car has been extremely lucky to live here in a cold climate with relatively little humidity. I'll bow out of this because I really don't have anything to offer. Good luck with the deck lid sealing.

Too bad you can't take it to a car factory or paint shop and have it entirely dipped in the liquid primer they use for protection nowadays.
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:56 PM

Eastwood does sell a rust inhibitor paint that has a special nozzle for spraying inside frames. I'm wondering if you can use through the holes in the deck lid frame. I also use a clear coat rust inhibitor for inside my doors etc.
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Allan R
In Texas you hardly have an issue with rustout from condensation.
Unless you live along the Gulf. I remember getting out of the car on Padre Island and as soon as the door was open, the windows fogged so heavily you couldn't see through them ...