General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Heater Core replacement (early 1980 Holiday coupe)

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:17 PM

Heater Core replacement (early 1980 Holiday coupe)

Hey all. Hope your weekends are going well so far. With winter on the horizon I'd like to fix my heater core as it leaks so I had it plugged for a hot minute. Now I'm going to be dailying the car during the winter months and so I've ordered a non-AC heater core for my car. Picture for reference, how would I go about an R+R on this unit, looks fairly accessible from the engine bay itself so I'm curious what the steps would be. I've never replaced a heater core on any car, I'm a young guy just learning as I go. I also am not sure what outlet the coolant flows FROM the engine to the core and what inlet on the engine it would flow back into or if it even matters if all I want is heat in the cabin. Thanks guys. Unfortunately I do not know a ton about the car since I bought it pre-plugged. The model is a 1980 Delta88 Holiday Coupe with a 307cui v8. The bottom right-middle area of the pic shows the bypass hose (with the white stripes on it) that would go from the engine to the Heater core but of course just re routes back into the engine. Any help is super appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old Yesterday | 07:30 PM
Oldsdruid

I've done cores on these B-bodies with A/C but I'll need to look at the old Gray Ghost (83 CC) wagon in daylight tomorrow. I'll try to get you some pictures.

It's not a hateful job, can be done from underhood, and being young you can crawl up in there with it. Shop book says you have to take the RH hood hinge loose but I never did.

Is your car an A/C or heater only car?
Old Yesterday | 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've done cores on these B-bodies with A/C but I'll need to look at the old Gray Ghost (83 CC) wagon in daylight tomorrow. I'll try to get you some pictures.

It's not a hateful job, can be done from underhood, and being young you can crawl up in there with it. Shop book says you have to take the RH hood hinge loose but I never did.

Is your car an A/C or heater only car?

Heater Only no AC. and thank you that'd be a huge help. I'm a big guy so hopefully it'll be easy, I've got a buddy coming by to help make it an easier job too. From what I can tell I can only see one bolt up top on the left of the photo, haven't really looked around the area too well so I'm not sure how it all comes apart.
Old Yesterday | 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mikespike
I also am not sure what outlet the coolant flows FROM the engine to the core and what inlet on the engine it would flow back into or if it even matters if all I want is heat in the cabin.
The heater hoses are sized to match the pipes on the heater core. 3/4” from the water pump to the firewall / heater core, then 5/8” from the firewall / heater core to the rear corner of the intake manifold.
Old Yesterday | 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The heater hoses are sized to match the pipes on the heater core. 3/4” from the water pump to the firewall / heater core, then 5/8” from the firewall / heater core to the rear corner of the intake manifold.

Okay that's awesome. I appreciate that, is that 3/4-5/8 ID or OD
Old Yesterday | 10:42 PM

ID. Your auto parts store will have it in stock and know what it is.
Old Yesterday | 10:46 PM

ID. Your auto parts store will have it in stock and know what it is.

Sweet man thank you.
Old Yesterday | 10:51 PM

Parts stores sell it either by the foot or by the inch, so measure on your engine, then add a reasonable margin to ensure you don’t come up short when installing the hoses. It’s easy to cut off a bit of excess hose, but you can’t add hose if it’s too short.
Old Yesterday | 11:02 PM

Parts stores sell it either by the foot or by the inch, so measure on your engine, then add a reasonable margin to ensure you don’t come up short when installing the hoses. It’s easy to cut off a bit of excess hose, but you can’t add hose if it’s too short.
good call man.
Old Today | 11:03 AM
Oldsdruid

All my replacement jobs have been on A/C cars where you just take the top cover off and lift the core out. Heater only is a bit more complex because you have to reach under the heater box to remove screws.

This is from the 1983 factory CSM. It and the 78 CSM say the exact same thing but the 78 split it over 2 pages and the 83 is easier to read. 77-85 are the same car so this should work for you.

Old Today | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikespike
good call man.

This will be a massive help, thank you man.