General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

heater cable

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM

heater cable

Heaterpart1.jpgHey Guys,
Can anyone tell me where the cable on the top of the heater box goes? I know one end of it goes the the heater control by the steering wheel but not sure where the other end attaches.I will attach a picture and the cable is pointed out with a red arrow.The car is a 1958 oldsmobile.

Thanks
Bush
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:16 AM

That cable might go to the temp control to regulate the stream of water through the heater core...
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM

the cable does go to some sort of heater temp control...I have been told the heater box I have is from one of the early model 1958's and is the same box as what was used in 57's. So still unsure what that end hooks to, someone said it goes to a valve type thing on a heater hose. Not sure what that part even looks like or if it exists.

Bush
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM

There is a Ranco water valve on the right side of the fire wall just above the passengers right foot, if you were lucky enough to have a passenger, otherwise you will just have to guess where it is...the cable controls a lever on the valve which regulates the amount of coolant flowing through the heater core and thus regulating the heat and hopefullly not setting anything on fire it is accessible on the inside of the car and on the engine side is where the heater hoses connect to this valve...it is very carefully concealed below the hood hinge...farther down than that...where the hoses are that you can't reach without scraping your arm...