General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Headlight switch removal

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013 | 08:15 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Headlight switch removal

Hi everyone,

How do you remove the headlight switch on a 71 442? I've looked in the assembly and repair manuals and I can't seem to find any info on it. I know you have to unscrew the little cowler thing, but how do you remove the pull rod?

Thanks,
Dave
Old July 8th, 2013 | 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by dfire25
How do you remove the headlight switch on a 71 442? I've looked in the assembly and repair manuals and I can't seem to find any info on it.
Look again. It's described on page 12AA-2 in the '71 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. If you don't have a copy, you can see it online at wildaboutcars.com.

You have to be able to get to the switch behind the dash as there is a release button there. Pull the **** to the ON position and then push on the button on the behind-the-dash side of the switch. Then pull the **** and shaft the rest of the way out. Then remove the escutcheon (the manual says you need a special tool to do this, but I just loosened it with pliers when I removed the switch on my '73 wagon), and out comes the switch.
Old July 8th, 2013 | 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Look again. It's described on page 12AA-2 in the '71 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. If you don't have a copy, you can see it online at wildaboutcars.com.
I do have a service manual, but I guess I missed it. I looked in that section too!

Thanks for the info on the removal, I knew there was a to do it. I'll take a look in the manual too.
Old July 9th, 2013 | 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

You have to be able to get to the switch behind the dash as there is a release button there. Pull the **** to the ON position and then push on the button on the behind-the-dash side of the switch. Then pull the **** and shaft the rest of the way out. Then remove the escutcheon (the manual says you need a special tool to do this, but I just loosened it with pliers when I removed the switch on my '73 wagon), and out comes the switch.

This procedure can still be a little challenging because of the working angles and the closeness of the release button up against the side of the dash. What helped me was to loosen the escutcheon as much as you can to start with. This frees up the switch (although still connected until you remove the **** as described above) and allows it to move some and provides easier access to the 'release button' up under the dash. Hope this helps some.
Old July 9th, 2013 | 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add that the one trick to this is that the headlight **** must be pulled out to the headlight on position BEFORE you depress the lock button. If you press the button first, it holds the **** and you can't pull it out.
Old July 9th, 2013 | 08:47 AM

Thanks for the GREAT info guys! I'm going to be trying it later so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old July 10th, 2013 | 08:36 PM

Ok I finally found some time to get the switch out. Along with all the other things I've been doing to the car I kept forgetting about it.
It was fairly easy since my drives side dash vent is removed. I had no idea where the release button was so I took scott_442's advice and loosened the escutcheon so I could rotate the switch to look for the button. After that it was as they said, pull the **** out and press the button, easy!
As soon as I get the "bullet" light holder from Scott (oldspackrat) I can put it all back together and finish my dash.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (48.8 KB, 36 views)
Old July 10th, 2013 | 09:28 PM

Test
image.jpg