Headlight Switch Removal

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Mak

Headlight Switch Removal

Anyone got a plan B on removing the headlight switch on my 67 Delta 88? I can push the button on the switch, but it wont release the ****. The button seems to operate fine, it pushed freely and I can feel a slight click in the **** when I push it in, but still won't release. One odd thing is the button on mine is one the left side, not the top, but I figure the switch must be 90* out of position (I don't find another button on top). I've pushed that button so many times my thumb is numb! Any idea's?
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mak
Anyone got a plan B on removing the headlight switch on my 67 Delta 88? I can push the button on the switch, but it wont release the ****. The button seems to operate fine, it pushed freely and I can feel a slight click in the **** when I push it in, but still won't release. One odd thing is the button on mine is one the left side, not the top, but I figure the switch must be 90* out of position (I don't find another button on top). I've pushed that button so many times my thumb is numb! Any idea's?
Yes, be sure the **** is pulled out to the headlights on position BEFORE depressing the button on the switch. If you press the button with the switch in the off or parking light position, it jams the spring and you won't be able to pull the **** all the way out. Be sure there is no pressure on the **** when pressing the release button - in other words, don't pull on the **** while pressing the button.

To recap:

1) Pull **** to the Headlights On position
2) Depress release button and hold
3) NOW pull the **** fully out of the switch.

And yes, your switch is just rotated 90 degrees. Some cars have the switch in that position. There is a small tab on the switch that engages a notch in the dash to "clock" it properly at installation.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Mak

Well hell, I thought that was what I was doing... but apparently not. I went back out and tried again after reading your reply... came right out on the first try. Many thanks for the help... I just about ready to bust out the sledge hammer & sawzall. ;-)
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mak
Well hell, I thought that was what I was doing... but apparently not. I went back out and tried again after reading your reply... came right out on the first try. Many thanks for the help... I just about ready to bust out the sledge hammer & sawzall. ;-)
Glad that worked out for you.