General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

is it hard to build my engine

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:04 AM

is it hard to build my engine

how hard is it to build my engine on my own
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:12 AM

I would say you need a bit of "knowhow" else things might go wrong. You would not want new parts and machine shop costs to explode. If you did decide to do it the machine shop could assemble your heads so they would be ready to bolt on. You may need to adjust pushrod length though for proper lifter preload. Bearing clearances need checking during assembly. Gaskets need to be positioned properly and bolts torqued to proper specs. Rear main seal needs to go in and timing chain and distributer properly indexed. Pistons need to be installed and ring gaps checked.... Without prior experience or someone watching over your shoulder I would advise against it.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM

thanks for the post that was very helperful
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM

As someone who did their own build, and continually fixed f-ups for several years, I can say you should think seriously first. My problems ran from dirty assembly, to improper machining, to improper assembly to downright bad luck. But hey, that's what college (and student loans) are for!
At a minimum, a machine shop needs to do all the machining and measure all the clearances. Many of the tools are specialized and very expensive. ie, the $20 calipers at the parts store are NOT sufficient for engine assembly!

The actual assembly is quick and easy - ensuring everything is actually ready, in proper shape, and clean enough - is not.

Cleanliness is very very critical. Assembling the engine in your kitchen is actually a good idea, but not for your marriage (as appropriate).

If you haven't done a significant amount of engine work before, then you absolutely need someone helping out.

All that said, I'm going to build my upcoming engine myself, but I know a lot more questions to ask the machinist and better ways to validate what they do.
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Thanks for that infomation that was also very helpful
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Where were you in '72?

Smile

It all depends on your mechanical abilities, I recently built my 350, found a good book on engine rebuilding also used the shop manual, studied this site for other ongoing builds, found a good machinist who setup my heads, block and crank and he also provide some great feedback. This is my first v8 engine build and it went well because I took my time, kept my working area and engine super clean, double checked my bearing clearances and torque specs, I believe it took me a good part of last summer. It's a very rewarding experience when it fired up for the first time, I learned a lot and it saved me a bundle.
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM

@ boondocker that is what i was think ! thanks for the post will take the advice