General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Fuel line routing with a twist

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM
Mr. Johnson

Fuel line routing with a twist

72 cutlass with a 350 a/c car factory
by the time I got it 455 a/c deleted
So I started getting a lot of junk in the fuel filter and lost idle (figured stuck needle)Been putting it off but I figured it was time to pull the tank and replace all the lines. Now I ordered the sending unit before dropping the tank because the fuel pump had a return line which bring me to my predicament. The sending unit only has one feed tube on it. So now I'm wondering well where in the hell the return line is going! Pull out the trusty manual and I see that the emission line is being used as the fuel return line As of now the emission line is routed how the normal line would be attached (far left behind back seat). Oh and this is after I installed the new sending when I realized the old one only had one so I think a return is beyond this point. The car fund is beyond it's max unless I decided to live in it or hit the lottery this year. I'm mainly looking for the safe simple fix of routing hoses and plugging one or a tee. Can I use the emission line and use it as the return line but run it to the sender instead of the vent box. Then put a tee fitting in one of the vent tubes and run it to the open port (far left) on the box. Id rather do that then cap it off if at all possible. I have no can in the front either.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rjohnson442
72 cutlass with a 350 a/c car factory
by the time I got it 455 a/c deleted
So I started getting a lot of junk in the fuel filter and lost idle (figured stuck needle)Been putting it off but I figured it was time to pull the tank and replace all the lines. Now I ordered the sending unit before dropping the tank because the fuel pump had a return line which bring me to my predicament. The sending unit only has one feed tube on it. So now I'm wondering well where in the hell the return line is going! Pull out the trusty manual and I see that the emission line is being used as the fuel return line As of now the emission line is routed how the normal line would be attached (far left behind back seat). Oh and this is after I installed the new sending when I realized the old one only had one so I think a return is beyond this point. The car fund is beyond it's max unless I decided to live in it or hit the lottery this year. I'm mainly looking for the safe simple fix of routing hoses and plugging one or a tee. Can I use the emission line and use it as the return line but run it to the sender instead of the vent box. Then put a tee fitting in one of the vent tubes and run it to the open port (far left) on the box. Id rather do that then cap it off if at all possible. I have no can in the front either.
While fuel return is beneficial, just cap the return line at the pump, hook up the vent correctly, and don't stress over it.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:24 PM
Mr. Johnson

Should I run the return from the sending unit to where the emission tube would be in the vapor box then?