General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Fuel gauge/tank sending unit

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
KDW

Hello Form
I have a 72 olds cutlass that I’m having a problem with again lol.
Ok here I go, first the fuel gauge was pegged past full did the entire test including grounding the sending unit wire and gauge would read empty etc.
So I replace the sending unit with a new on and put 10 gallons of gas in tank, gauge was reading about half, which looked normal so I figured I’m good to go.
Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I’ve been working on the car in the garage tuning, fixing A/C etc and just last night the car would start and could not figure out why since the gauge was reading ¼ off tank fuel. I had another gauge, so I swapped gauge thinking maybe the old gauge was inaccurate, same reading ¼ of tank.
Also looked at see thought gas filter under hood and just what I suspected it’s not full and no full in tank.
What could cause a new sending unit to give gauge the wrong reading?
Its grounded new ground to body etc.
Any help would greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.
Kevin
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM

If the gauge is good, and the same as for a 1966, it will read full if you take the "hot" wire off the sending unit and leave it dangling. If you ground the wire, it will read empty. Your problem sounds like a bad sender in the tank, or the float is rubbing on something and not traveling freely.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
KDW

Thanks for your help

I grounded the wire at the trunk that connect the sending unit, the gauge did read empty.

I never thought about disconnecting the ground. If I disconnect the ground and it still reads 1/4 could this just be a bad ground or do you think it could be the sending unit? I did buy this thing from auto zone lol.

The ground on the tank now is a shelf tapping sheet metal screw going straight to the body over axle, is there a better place to ground?

Thanks