General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Front bumper have to come off to remove the horns?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2020, 03:21 PM

Front bumper have to come off to remove the horns?

I have only one horn working on my 66 442. The drivers side horn works fine, not sure if thats the "A" or the "F" but it blows strong. The passenger side horn is DOA. Nothing. My problem is, I can't seem to find anyway to get the damned thing out from behind the bumper, other than to remove the bumper itself? I was amble to finagle it into the gap to the left of the license pate. I disconnected it, and connected a know good aftermarket one I had, and the wiring is good. I was also able to get enough access to remove the small star adj. screw. I tried backing it out 1/4 turn, then a 1/2, then full, and no changes. I don't even get a click, so I think the contacts are probably stuck. I figure if I can get it out, I can grab a rebuild kit for the corvette and it should be the same

My first issue is getting it removed hopefully without removing the bumper. Anybody know if that can be done or have any tricks?

Thanks!!
Old July 4th, 2020, 07:23 AM

The service manual will tell you to move / remove the bumper but as I recall I had to replace a horn and just fished it up between the core support and radiator after taking off the radiator top plate.

Old July 4th, 2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks, Nick. I just looked and realized why i can't do that. My car has Air Conditioning, and the Condenser is mounted in front of the radiator, closing that gap down to less than an inch. It's also why I can't rotate the horn to slide it out of the horizontal bumper slots on each side of the license plate. Looks like the bumper will have to come off. It could use a re-chrome, so I'll eventually get to it. In the mean time I'l source a used horn and mount it on the topside there so the wire will reach. Thanks for the reply.