General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Flat Bed "Towing"

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Flat Bed "Towing"

For a 1970 Cutlass
Can anyone advise me on the preferred towing points on the front end to be used in loading onto a flat bed emergency truck?
How about secure tie down points?
Marked up photos would be great!

Nothing bad has happened, just wondering.

Thanks, Peter
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM

On the frame behind the front tires you will find an oval hole called a "T" slot. These holes are made to accept a "T" hook on a chain bridle for loading onto a rollback carrier. You will also find similar holes on the rear of the frame for another set of "T" hooks or you can use big "J" hooks on the rear axle. Just make sure to hook from underneath the axle or you chance crushing a brake line. For safety chains, I use a specialized ratchet strap with a length of chain that fits through slots in my carriers deck on one end and a mini "J" on the other. There is another set of "T" slots on the frame near where the steering box bolts on that I use for safety straps. Your other option is basket straps that go around the wheels and tie off to the deck.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM

Is a wheel lift tow truck available? Those are better if you have a stock height suspension.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks for the info NofiveO!
Is there anything we should carry in the trunk that would help avoid scraping and other damage made by the chains when loading or securing? I would be especially worried about the bumper.
Para - I am just asking in case something happens on the road. Hagerty has a toll free number for flat bed towing, but who knows what type of truck would show up.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:00 AM

There a few different types of bridles available for carrier loading. The one i use for situations like this is made from nylon so there is no metal to metal contact with bumpers, sway bars etc. The legs of the bridle and longer to get the "D" ring out past the bumper on most cars. Here is a link to one similar to what I use.

http://truckntow.com/p-19418-vulcan-...-clusters.aspx
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Is a wheel lift tow truck available? Those are better if you have a stock height suspension.

I can't understand how a wheel lift is better than a rollback or flatbed trailer. The O.P. is asking about "flatbed" towing, which implies a rollback or trailer, not towing on the wheels.

Note to the O.P. This is a full frame car, not a girlie-man unibody car. Pretty much any attach point on the frame will be fine. I have a flatbed equipment trailer and routinely winch my cars up onto it. Tiedown can go one of two ways. Some people like to tie down at the wheels or suspension, which has the advantage that the tie downs are unaffected by suspension movement. The downside is that the car will bounce up and down on the suspension as you tow. The alternative is to tie down from the frame and preload the suspension. The problem here is that the car will still bounce on the suspension, which can loosen the tiedowns.

In any case, make the tiedowns as short and straight (fore and aft) as possible to minimize stretch, especially if you are using nylon straps as opposed to chains. People like to criss-cross the tiedowns, but those people are not structural engineers. There's no need to restrain the car from sliding off the trailer sideways - it doesn't roll that way. It DOES roll fore and aft, so maximize the restraint in that direction.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Since I just posted these photos in another (less applicable) thread, I'll put them here also. If you're really worried about how to load the car on a flatbed, get one of these:

Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM

Joe, cars do slide side to side on a car carrier or trailer.. Ever had a car on a carrier in the rain and pull into a driveway with a steep approach or bump a curb? guess what happens? yup, the car will shift on the deck. Most carriers and trailers have rails to minimize the possibility of the car falling off the sides. For the record, I don't cross my tie downs, but the DOT legal way requires 4 points of contact between whatever is being hauled and the deck of the truck. This DOES NOT include the winch cable/bridle assy.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by nofiveo
Joe, cars do slide side to side on a car carrier or trailer.. Ever had a car on a carrier in the rain and pull into a driveway with a steep approach or bump a curb? guess what happens? yup, the car will shift on the deck.
Agreed. I guess I'd like a little extra assurance that the car won't slide sideways during an emergency maneuver or even a minor accident.
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Agreed. I guess I'd like a little extra assurance that the car won't slide sideways during an emergency maneuver or even a minor accident.
If the car moves sideways on a flatbed, your tiedowns are either too long or too loose. My equipment trailer has a pressure treated wood bed that gets slippery when wet. I've never had a problem with anything moving sideways. I do stop periodically and check the tiedowns, and I use only chains with ratchet load binders.
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Do you think most guys would have these nylon bridles on hand, or would it be worth it to have a set in the car?
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pcard
Do you think most guys would have these nylon bridles on hand, or would it be worth it to have a set in the car?
If by "most guys" you mean the guy doing the towing, there's no way his insurance will let him use any tiedowns you provide, since he has no way of verifying their strength.
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks Joe, that makes sense.
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Runner

Joys of an old car.... I've had to get every Cutlass I've owned towed at least once. And although I don't know specifically where they hook them up, the AAA drivers have always been very competent and never caused damage to my cars.

hAYs67B.jpg
2n0qLGB.jpg
VM6iBUZ.jpg
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM

When you put an "A" body on a 19 foot flatbed, and use j hooks on the rear axle, you will have approx. 2 feet of chain between hooks and deck slots, is that too long? Many of these trucks have 15,000 lb winches.. that equates to a rolling frame machine. Drivers need to have common sense when securing cars or they WILL cause damage. You want the car to just squat a bit with the winch when loading, then attach the safety straps to the front of the car.

A towing company that deals with classics on a regular basis should have the proper equipment to provide damage free service. If in doubt, by all means get your own bridle and carry it with you. Most operators in my area would have no problem using it as long as it's in good condition i.e. not sun faded, frayed, cut etc.