General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Factory Distributor Weights and Springs

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2023, 01:57 PM

Factory Distributor Weights and Springs

Since there obviously are no distinguishing markings on factory distributor springs, is there any way to determine their original application if separated from the distributor?

With no part number on factory distributor weights, is it possible to determine their original application?

The factory weight can be weighed to determine if it matches the weight for a particular application, but factory weights seem to have different thicknesses and edges according to the model year, as well as some having holes in the weight.

Aftermarket distributor advance kits do not note the tension and weight of the springs and weights contained in the kit.

Hoping to find OEM or equivalent springs and weights for a 1970 350 4bbl distributor that is missing the factory weights and springs. According to the parts book, the factory spring is 1942012 and the weight is 1881371.
Old February 26th, 2023, 03:47 PM

Have you turned the weights over and looked at the bottom sides? My weights have numbers stamped into them.

edit:
After re-reading you may be referring to points distributors and I was thinking HEI.

Last edited by Fun71; February 26th, 2023 at 03:55 PM.
Old February 26th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Have you turned the weights over and looked at the bottom sides? My weights have numbers stamped into them.

edit:
After re-reading you may be referring to points distributors and I was thinking HEI.
Sorry. I should had mentioned points distributors in the title. Did not think about HEI distributors when writing the thread and their differences. But I will check the weights again for possible numbers stamped on the bottom. Thanks for the reply.
Old February 26th, 2023, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Sorry. I should had mentioned points distributors in the title. Did not think about HEI distributors when writing the thread and their differences. But I will check the weights again for possible numbers stamped on the bottom. Thanks for the reply.
I believe the wide end of the counterweight trails the rotation. I am trying to explain that the thick part comes after the pivot pin because the rotation is CCW. DON'T do it like a Chebby, its opposite.
I couldn't find a good picture.
Old February 26th, 2023, 06:40 PM

I have a chart somewhere that lists all the different weights and degrees. Your right, the shape of the weight controls the rate of advance

I think o found the chart on a Pontiac group.
Old February 26th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Found it it!!

for some reason copy/paste isn’t working for me.

I googled HEI distributor weight, found the chart I was thinking of here.

​​​​​​​