General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Electronic ignition tuneup

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Electronic ignition tuneup

Hello lm wondering if someone can share with me how to tune up an ignition system, ( Mallory) more specifically how are the spark plug wires changed? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wishful; July 27th, 2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Clearer picture
Old July 26th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Administrator

It would help if your gave the model number of the Mallory your using.
Old July 26th, 2020, 10:12 AM

Old July 26th, 2020, 10:15 AM

Thanks for replying ! I had it in a shop and they hadn’t a clue
Old July 26th, 2020, 10:25 AM

My apologies if you meant the distributor model # I’ll check to see if I can find it. Thanks again any assistance is appreciated. The wires appear to be built into the cap, although I’m probably wrong, but I tugged on the wire and it did not budge. I was afraid to pull much harder for fear I might break it in the event they are built in?
Old July 26th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

It's been a LONG time since I owned a Mallory distributor. The distributor cap appears to be the old style (original) Mallory distributor cap (were they a two-piece unit?). It looks like a 4001 Mallory distributor cap (I think they were replaced with the Echin MA5 one piece?). I can see the two side clips on your distributor cap and it almost appears to be a Mallory distributor, as well. The spark plug wires are not built into the cap, they insert like other spark plug wires\ but you need to remove the top piece first.

Have a look at this thread. Again, I believe what you have is the old-school two-piece Mallory distributor cap and it looks like an original Mallory distributor. This link should explain how the two-piece cap is assembled/disassembled. As I recall, there are two screws on the top portion of the distributor cap?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-wires.722289/
Old July 26th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Running On Empty

Old July 26th, 2020, 11:57 AM

Yes in fact there are two screws on top. Thanks tremendously I would have never thought there were two pieces!
Old July 26th, 2020, 01:22 PM

Boy, thats an antique. Good luck with your tune-up, shouldnt be hard
Old July 26th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Wow, I have not seen a setup like that in over 30 years. I don't think that cap is available new anymore, you may find one on Ebay if yours is fubar, points and condenser can still be bought off Ebay. I can understand trying to keep that system, however there are better systems available today. The HAMB link that Norm provided is very informative.
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Boy, thats an antique. Good luck with your tune-up, shouldnt be hard
Thank you kindly! I didn’t think it would be hard either until I was told by the repair shop who by the way replaced the intake gasket, carburetor, and installed a new clutch and clutch rod, yet could not tune the car up....after recommending I get one by the way..😏
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wow, I have not seen a setup like that in over 30 years. I don't think that cap is available new anymore, you may find one on Ebay if yours is fubar, points and condenser can still be bought off Ebay. I can understand trying to keep that system, however there are better systems available today. The HAMB link that Norm provided is very informative.
I wanted to simply tune it up for now, I may invest in a newer system later down the road. However since you mentioned it what would you recommend? I’m relatively new to electronic ignition systems as may be evident.
Old July 27th, 2020, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

It's an old-school Mallory electronic ignition system you currently have installed; however, don't think it's a bad ignition system if you are not having any issues. If you're only interested in a good old-fashioned tune-up, I'd suggest you simply perform a tune-up. There's two parts to this: (1) Ignition Coil [your current Mallory Voltmaster Ignition Coil 28675] & (2) current Electronic Control Module installed on top of the distributor. I believe there is a fill-hole on the top of that ignition coil (it's nothing more than a transformer) which is going to be either PCB or 10 weight mineral oil to bathe the components. The Mallory system was an exceptionally good system. It provided excellent current delivery and if it's still working I'd see no reason to replace it. You can remove the ignition coil, clean the posts really well, clean the exterior casing, see if there is a fill-hole (as I recall) you can top it off if required and it should be fine. You probably can replace the electronic control ignition module with an updated type compatible with your current Mallory coil, or you can simply replace the old-school distributor cap w/ a newer style distributor cap (Echlin MA5) and be done with it. They (Mallory) may have newer electronic ignition modules to fit your current Mallory distributor. You can do some research if you are interested in maintaining what you currently have. I'll leave others to decide and make any recommendations regarding an entire upgrade for your system which would require a new distributor and completely new electronic ignition module and new ignition coil. I'll just finish w/ this. That system you currently have installed is old-school, but it is built rock solid. I'll bet it still works flawlessly. You can test the ignition coil and module on your own if you like - do some research. For now, I'd just do a tune-up and follow my simple recommendations. It's your choice. If it isn't broken and the car runs fine, just tune it up and drive it.
Old July 27th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Wow I like the ideal of simply switching caps, and I would assume utilizing spark plug wires designated for my engine? just as I would ordinarily if I were purchasing new spark plug wires (oem) in other words? Is it really that simple? Or am I to use high performance wires? Thanks again everyone
Old July 27th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Running On Empty

I believe the originals were 7mm but remember those are open wire cinched into the lower part of the distributor cap. If you replace the cap 8mm should be called for I believe. Don’t hold me to anything do some research. Been a long time since I saw one.
Old July 27th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

I agree with Norm, you have an ignition that will outlast the car! Don't try to top off the oil in the coil; there is supposed to be some room in there for expansion. Points and condenser are still available for the Mallory distributor. Mallory is currently under the Holly Performance Parts umbrella and somewhat merged with MSD ignition. A tech line is available serving Mallory, MSD and Accel ignitions at (888)258-3835. You can also find a Mallory forum at the Holly.com site under "Support".
Old July 27th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Running On Empty

I didn't have time to address your question regarding plug wires (it was my turn to hit from the tee box). What one person considers high performance might not meet the same criteria as another person. I'll give my opinion. I buy spark plug wires with the least amount of resistance and the best insulation. That's it done. An ordinary set of spark plug wires would work just fine. Thicker insulation and least resistance will cost you just a little more than normal wires, but they are well worth the money. The least resistance, the better the current throughput; the thicker the insulation the least amount of attenuation (wandering stray current).
Old July 27th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wishful
I wanted to simply tune it up for now, I may invest in a newer system later down the road. However since you mentioned it what would you recommend? I’m relatively new to electronic ignition systems as may be evident.
I'm really starting to like the ready to run small cap HEI's, the better ones have more adjustments for setting up the curve, total advance, and rate.