General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Electrical Issue Solved

Search this Thread

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM

Electrical Issue Solved

About a month ago I posted on this forum a request for an electrical guru to bounce some questions off of in an effort to repair the electrical on a 1993 Cutlass Conv I had just purchased. I got a couple takers and thanks to them. However, the electrical issues seemed to be insurmountable. I bought the factory service manuals and drove myself crazy going back and forth from page to page. Nothing made sense. So I went back to my 30 years of training and just started isolating the systems. The courtesy, ABS and brake light circuits all blew fuses. Different circuits all with dead shorts. So I looked for a common connector and traced them all to the big one just below the steering column. I separated the two halves, found no corrosion or loose wiring, then put the halves back together. Problem solved. Everything now works. Beside the obvious answer that sometimes this just happens, can anyone tell me if these cars have any inherent unexplainable electrical issues?
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Oldsdruid

Not so much inherent, it's that there's just so damned much electrical stuff on these cars. And Fords are worse than the GMs.