General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Cowl Tag decipher - vinyl top or not?

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Cowl Tag decipher - vinyl top or not?

I am fairly certain my 72 Cutlass Supreme had a vinyl top originally, but if I am reading the below right, 14/14 means both the top and bottom were Silver Pewter Metallic. When I got the car it had what appeared to be an original vinyl top... perhaps not, but it looked weathered, had the 2 x CS emblems on either side, etc. There was no padding underneath though.

Is it possible the dealer installed the vinyl top?

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldzy
I am fairly certain my 72 Cutlass Supreme had a vinyl top originally, but if I am reading the below right, 14/14 means both the top and bottom were Silver Pewter Metallic. When I got the car it had what appeared to be an original vinyl top... perhaps not, but it looked weathered, had the 2 x CS emblems on either side, etc. There was no padding underneath though.

Is it possible the dealer installed the vinyl top?
You are correct - 14 14 shows paint top and bottom. Dealer installation of vinyl tops was not uncommon then.
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM

Thx. So I am safe to do either way... however it did not come from the factory w/ vinyl so... guess I will have to think on it some more.

What I hate about the vinyl that is on it, is that quite a bit of the steel underneath is totally rotted, mainly on the sides where the CS emblems were.
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by oldzy
Thx. So I am safe to do either way... however it did not come from the factory w/ vinyl so... guess I will have to think on it some more.

What I hate about the vinyl that is on it, is that quite a bit of the steel underneath is totally rotted, mainly on the sides where the CS emblems were.
Luckily my vinyl top was totally wasted with just a li'l surface rust and maybe 5 pin holes rusting through ...

I did not replace ...