General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Convertible top switch rebuild

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2020, 11:48 AM

Convertible top switch rebuild

So now the the rallye gauge issues have been sorted out by redoing the temprature sensor connector and while at it I redid the alternator connector. My convertible top switch went bad last weekend which I amd know addressing. So here is my question. I had another switch which I took apart last night cleaned the contacts and housing, since it had been used. I did have to do a slight filing of the up and down contect pins. There was a slight black burn divot on both contact pins that the armature meets when switch is in the up or down position. After I re assembled the switch and checked the movement of the switch it does a slight click in the up and down position and the rocker returns back to center. Is this the correct function of the switch button? Also when I diss assembled the switch and removed the pin board the up and down pins were loose in the plastic and the pins fell out of the board. I place them back in the board and cemented them into place and cleand the contact points. During re assembly and re installing the board I noticed the plastic housing has furrels which holds the pin flange in place. The board after installed in the housing holds the pins in place, but the up and pins do have some play but are not falling out since they're held in place by the housing. Should I be concerned that there is a slight movement on these two pins? Or is that normal.
Old November 5th, 2020, 12:16 PM

I would think slight movement may be normal. Have you tested it to see if it works? You can leave it uninstalled with the wires connected or test with an ohm meter. If it works you might as well give it a shot. New ones are about $100 and readily available. I had purchased a new one and where the wires went into the back they were not tight and it created a problem. When I got a replacement the wires were now epoxied in place and I had no issues.

Steve
Old November 6th, 2020, 05:55 PM

Steve does the switch need to be energized to test continuity and OHMs. Or can I just test the switch as itself. I'm an eletrical idiot, but know just enough to be dangerous !
Old November 6th, 2020, 06:09 PM

Just connect the Ohm meter between the terminals on the switch and note the resistance when putting the switch in the different positions (Up, center, and down).
Old November 9th, 2020, 09:11 PM

Well doesn't matter now the extra switch I had discintrigrated in my hand !!!! Piece of repro crap !
Old November 10th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Just wondering if the wires fell off the back like mine did. Unfortunately I waited to long to return it. When I ordered a new one it was a better quality that has held up. I think I ordered from Parts Place for about $95-100.

Steve
Old November 10th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
Steve does the switch need to be energized to test continuity and OHMs. Or can I just test the switch as itself. I'm an eletrical idiot, but know just enough to be dangerous !
Tony, I would just take an ohms measurement. No need for "powering" the switch. The ohm meter will measure resistance, so when the switch is moved to a closed position (contact made) you should see zero resistance and when the contact is not being made like with the switch in the neutral position, it should read infinite or high resistance. Also if you have a spare clip that attaches the two half of the switch together, please save it for me . The OEM Switches are generally higher quality, but these switches do see some current so the contacts do degrade over time. The pins need to be tight even if you need to use some epoxy for a repair. Good luck.

Rick
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:05 PM

Thanks Phoenix8990,
I haven't gotten under the dash yet but do not expect to find any loose wires. The toggle switch after the top motor stopped got really stiff indicating that to me the issue might be internal. But I'm waiting on an original switch that someone had listed on Ebay. Not the NOS one but a used original switch and harness out off a Vista Cruiser. Oh course I should probably also check out the Convertible top relay.