General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

convertible top switch died

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2021, 08:01 PM

Question convertible top switch died

I wrote about this earlier in the forum. but reaching out again before I tear into the car with a show tomorrow night that I love to have the top down for ! I went out to the GM Nationals last month in Carlisle. arrived at the show field Friday, Top went down in the morning and went back up when I closed the car up for the night without any issues. Saturday morning I went to put the top down, nothing, not even a sound from the motor. I have a new switch, but before I get into it I wanted to see what to check. Firstly is there a fuse directly related to the convertible top switch? All other things associated to the fuse block works without issue. Regarding the Convertible top relay behind the Driver's side kick panel, is it also associated with the power windows? They also are working fine if it is. The next thing I was going to check is the wires and ground at the motor but I will have to take the back seat out to do this since I have the rear speakers with the top well boot between the speakers and the grille. At this point should I just delve into replacing the switch before I take the back seat apart? I just wanted to get feedback and some quick checks before I get into tearing the car apart ! Luckily it is meant to be cooler tomorrow vs the past three weeks of hi humidity and heat index of 100+. I don't have the luxury of a garage with A/C. Hell I don't even have a garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh one other note Someone had mentioned a relay on the fire wall to the right of the brake booster. There is one there but it is the A/C relay. No other relays located there unless it is under the right side of the booster. This is a 71 built cutlass Supreme but 72 model.
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:01 PM

I’m not sure you will be able to access the top motor wiring from the back seat side due to the metal seatback framework. Seems as if you should be able to lift the well liner up enough to access the top motor wiring from the trunk side since the speakers mount well forward of the motor.

Here’s a pic of my car with the rear seat removed.

Last edited by Fun71; July 30th, 2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 30th, 2021, 11:01 PM

Thanks Fun 71,
Yeah I've been down this road a few times ! I tried to lift the well cover up enough from the trunk, but not enough clearance. I would need to pull the back seat either way. hoping I can reach in enough to check and clean the terminals and check ground wire. If not I need to still pull the speaker grilles to lift up the well liner.

Old July 31st, 2021, 03:56 AM

Could disconnect top cylinders and use as manual top, quick and easy till you figure out problem.
Old July 31st, 2021, 08:00 AM

Hi Chris yes I've done that in the past also but hoping to get it up and running properly ! More impressive when you can drop the top as you pull in to the show ! LOL.

Old July 31st, 2021, 08:36 AM

So it seems if you bitch about something and analyze it long enough it fixes itself ! LOL. Went out started the car to move it and while I was waiting for the engine to warm up I thought to myself, what the hell let's give the switch another try. expecting to have the same outcome, No function or even engine sound. What........... the top switch is working again ! Though I have to put a little more pressure on the outside of the rocker switch during the up and down function !
Old July 31st, 2021, 01:09 PM

So the saga continues ! Switch worked and then I put all of the dash back together. Tested the switch and the down position worked fine, Up position for a second and then nothing again ! UGH ! Pulled the dash apart again and this time took the switch out the dash. One thing I noticed was when the switch was in the escutcheon it did not have the click feeling when up pushed it up or down. I left the switch assembled and reconnected the battery, pressed the switch and it worked perfectly including the click in up and down ! Decided to put the new switch in since i was this far into it. Now getting ready to put the switch back into the dash and it is not sitting tight to the escutcheon. WTF ! Had to take a break from this for a little while and will go back and hit it again after I rehydrate myself ! Oh also for those taking on this task : Take the driver's seat out ! It makes it so much easier to get under the dash !
Old July 31st, 2021, 01:23 PM

On my 67 there is a circuit breaker mounted to the firewall behind the brake booster. Maybe your breaker is tripping and resetting. When my top quit working the circuit breaker had failed. Maybe your problem is similar. Good Luck.
Old July 31st, 2021, 07:49 PM

Hi Danktx !
No the 72 didn't have them there ! It was a switch issue. Replaced the switch with a new one today, nice 7 hour project ! Strang thing was switch didn't work in the dash but worked fine when it wasn't mounted ! No damaged sheathing in the wire harness either. Who knows what the friggin issue was, neatened up the dash harness since I had everything broken down ! But all is good now !