General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Convertible Top Question

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Convertible Top Question

I just bought a 1970 Cutlass convertible. When the top is in the down position when you use the switch to put the top in the up position it requires help getting the top to move. Does not seem to catch on anything, frame seems in good condition. When it is about a 25% open it seems to move on its own. No change in the sound coming from top motor when it is not going up on its own. Slowly completely closes. Seem to work fine from up position to the cdown position. You can stop it about 1/2 going up and down and it holds. So is it the motor, fluid level, cylinders. Nothing seems to be leaking. Just looking for ideas to pinpoint the problem
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:14 PM

It's low on fluid. Top it off and it will work properly.
Old August 6th, 2018, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is what my first guess would be. Like I said I just got this car a week ago. I bought it from an older gentleman that decided to sell it. It only has 65K miles on it. He had it serviced at a local repair shop for everything. How do I know what fluid is currently in it? I have read on this forum about different types of fluids being used?

thanks again for the tip
Old August 6th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It should be ATF and will be red. You do not want to use brake fluid because it will eat your paint if it gets on it.
Old August 6th, 2018, 11:46 PM

Also if it's low on fluid, it went somewhere. Take the back seat side panels off if there is no oil present in the pump area and look for oil around the cylinders on either side. If you see a lot replace one or both cylinders and or hoses because if one springs a big leak it will ruin your top if it sprays up on it. .(so I've heard).
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Took the back seat out and checked the fluid level. Added about 6 oz of transmission fluid and top raised on it own. Ran it up and down a few times. Cylinders looked good and lines dry. Took longer to remove seats than fill the pump.

Thanks again for for the advice
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:00 PM

Yes it was more work but now you know you don't have to worry about your top or buying cylinders at 100.00 each. Congratulations most times they are bad. You got lucky. Enjoy you new ride.