General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

A/C refrigerant line repair/re-pop

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2023, 06:09 AM

A/C refrigerant line repair/re-pop

1975 Cutlass Salon with factory a/c. The line from the compressor to the condenser (with the big muffler built in to it) leaks at the crimp between the hard line and the rubber line under the muffler. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used one with no luck. I'm not aware of anybody doing re-pops of these. It's just a weekend cruiser and while I'd prefer a line that kept the muffler mostly for the OEM look, I'd settle for just a line that works. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old June 29th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Did you check Kanter & Fusick?

https://www.kanter.com/

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...s.asp?dept=185

You can also get AC hoses fabricated at a specialty hose shop. NAPA sometimes does this. They cater to industrial and construction companies as they specialize in hydraulics.
Old June 29th, 2023, 04:51 PM

Fusick's doesn't have anything specific to 73-77 nor does any of the other major outlets that I know of like OPGI, The Parts Place, etc i wonder if another year might work while not being "correct?" I couldn't find anything on Kanter but their site is hard to navigate, so I'll check again. Looked like a lot of Packard stuff though. Also, my local Napa said their machine is broken and none of the others around do it anymore.

Once those fittings are crimped, I'm guessing their is no just replacing the hose and re-crimping?
Old June 29th, 2023, 05:19 PM

can you provide a picture of it? I'm not the big wrench but i have some spare parts..
are you still in VA? Was hoping to see you at another DelVal Olds show..been a while..
Old June 29th, 2023, 06:44 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Classic auto air and Vintage auto air.

https://www.classicautoair.com/

https://www.vintageair.com/

I have used Classic with great results. Send them your hoses to restore. They will cut off the factory ends, weld on new crimps to the OEM ends and crimp on a new hose.
Consider doing all of the hoses. They will look and fit exactly like the factory hoses.

Last edited by droldsmorland; June 30th, 2023 at 05:17 AM.
Old June 30th, 2023, 05:12 AM

Cold Hose Can make a hose for you. Google them located in Florida
Old June 30th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Call these guys:

They made new transmission cooler lines for my brother in laws Ram truck. The previous owner had cut and hacked them many times. They were able to take all the pieces, lay them out, and bend, flare, with factory looking parts. They fit perfectly, just minor tweaking.

Since they are 20 minutes from my house, that’s who I used to crimp the A/C lines on my car.

I bet if you send your existing hoses they could made replacements.
Old July 6th, 2023, 05:33 AM

Thank you for all the input guys! Sounds like I'm going to be sending what I have off to have new ends welded and new hose crimped on.

Originally Posted by Bill G
can you provide a picture of it? I'm not the big wrench but i have some spare parts..
are you still in VA? Was hoping to see you at another DelVal Olds show..been a while..
Hey man! Good to hear from ya! Yep, still in VA. I'd love to get up there for another show. Maybe I can get a kitchen pass to go by my lonesome so I have more time to chat next time 😁 When is the next show?

The one I need is the hard line into the muffler then into the rubber hose ending at the condenser. I think it's leaking at the crimp under the muffler.