General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Another Questions (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Another Questions (Exhaust)

Okay guys, I have another question. I'm looking at just replacing my exhaust system all together, especially after the negatives I've seen about flow-master mufflers. Any-who, I'm looking for an idea for a good header back exhaust system, that's both cheap and easy to install. I already have hooker super comp headers that are still running strong, so I just need a system from the headers back.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Ben

If you want a bolt on kit... buy the flowmaster american thunder kit w/o mufflers(you have to specifically find the listing number for teh kit w/o numbers).
Its only like $250

Then add whatever offset/offset mufflers you like and away you go.

Its by far one of the best fitting kits out there w/o having the goofy X-pipe sounds.
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Why not go to reputable muffler and have them fab you one.
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Does anyone know anything about the Summit Racing exhaust kits? Are they any good?

I've got this car all jacked up, the weathers nice and I've got a bad case of the might-as-wells
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have heard pypes exhaust is good. I made my own exhaust with an x pipe from summit with bolt on mufflers i set up for track removal with hooker aero chambers and dumps at the rear end sounds good. You can also order just the pipes from pypes exhauts individally and add your own muffler i belive but some phone calling might be in order to do so .

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Another questions. Are X pipes bad? I here a lot of negative on the sound of X pipes.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by LoganMiller68
Another questions. Are X pipes bad? I here a lot of negative on the sound of X pipes.
My best advice to you is go to some classic car events... cruise nights, car shows, maybe even go to the drag strip and walk around the pits on a test & tune day... listen to the cars and see what people are running.

You cannot truely get an idea what stuff sounds like from reading postings online, or even listing to 30 second sound clips of cars.

there are a ton of factors that will affect the way any given cars exhaust will sound.

A car with a certain style pipes & mufflers may sound totally different on another car with its engine setup differently, or different mufflers. Even just changing the brand of headers can affect the sound.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM

X2 with rambow. The x pipe does make it sound raspier . It helped me got from 14.00 to a 13.86 with adding the x pipe alone.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Wow, that's awesome. Well thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to look around a bit.

For now back to work under the car to get it running. It's beautiful out here in Michigan!
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
X2 with rambow. The x pipe does make it sound raspier . It helped me got from 14.00 to a 13.86 with adding the x pipe alone.
I ordered one about 10 years ago after hearing an X-pipe on a friends built big block car & thought it was awesome.

I had it installed on my car w/ a mild Chev 350 and man it sounded terrible Like it had a v6 in it.... after a couple months i hacked it off the car and had them weld it back up with straight pipes- sounded like a v8 again.

Like i said... _ _ _ component on one guys car may not sound the same on YOUR car.

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 13th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Mine sounded even better with the x pipe but I have a big cam headers and hooker aero chambers I do have clips on youtube can't link em now
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM

not intending to high jack. but does anybody know if the flowmaster kit or the kit from summit racing will exit in the correct location for the cut-out bumper with a 455. thanks And does anyone like the sound of the provided mufflers? pros cons? just be nice to know what you guys like about other mufflers over these.
Thanks!