General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

AMK Products Questions

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2019, 12:43 PM

AMK Products Questions

Hello all,

I am looking for hardware for my 71 442 and have been looking into AMK Products. They do not list anything by A - Body and do not list hardware for Oldsmobile specifically. It's all Chevy, Ford, Chrysler...Does anyone have experience buying hardware kits from them? I'm looking at the Body, Master Engine, and Chassis kits. Do the Chevelle kits have everything we need for the 442s? Or what kits work best?
Old February 28th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Randy C.

When I restored my '68 4-4-2 convertible, I took an inventory of fasteners I needed, along with part numbers I could read out of the assembly manual. The physical AMK Products catalog had a cross-reference to GM part numbers in the back of the book and I was able to locate about half of the fasteners I wanted/needed. For the other fasteners that I wanted/needed, I just compared what I had to the life-size picture AMK carried in their catalog and, for the most part, it worked out great. I never bought a hardware "kit" from them, per se. I just bought the fasteners that I wanted/needed in the packages they offered.

AMK requires purchases in lots of 4 or 6 or 8 or ?, depending upon the fastener so, in most cases, I ended up with extra bolts/nuts/screws/j-nuts/clips and so forth. Plus, AMK requires a minimum purchase (used to be $40, I don't know what it is now) in order to make a buy. But, to me, it was worth it. I got the fasteners that I needed/wanted for my '68. And when I did my '69 4-4-2 convertible, I was able to supplement what was missing off of it fastener-wise with the spares I had from the '68.

Randy C.
Old February 28th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Administrator

IMO, the problem with the Chevelle kits is there will be a lot of items that don't cross over. Chevy and Olds engines have little in common. A lot of the chassis kit will work and some of the body kit. There are a lot of trim differences.
Old February 28th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Eric, I was thinking the same thing. Quite a few differences. Sounds like individual bolts would be the best way to go like Randy suggested. See if any of the individual kits have the hardware I need. This car did not come with much hardware at all.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:57 PM

AMK also has a couple pages to define codesin the descriptions. It is tough to figure out but it can be done. AMK has a lot of fasteners used by GM. If the part number doesn't show up but sits between similar part numbers check those items also as the may be what you need.
Wayne
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:35 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Use the part numbers in the PIM, cross reference it with the AMK table, and then do your homework on the proper finish (clear zinc, phosphate, yellow zinc, etc.) since AMK offers multiple finishes. It's a pretty tedious activity, however, it's cheaper than ordering from the vendors and paying 5x for a bolt.
Old March 1st, 2019, 07:41 AM

Thanks all! Sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of me for this.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 05:34 AM

Another option is Mr G's. You have to do a a little leg work same as AMK. Ive never bought anything from them but have them saved in bookmarks.
https://mrgusa.com