General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

7040256 Carburetor question

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2020, 02:04 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

7040256 Carburetor question

Just received my 7040256 rebuilt carb back from Cliff Ruggles. Cliff did not have the correct fitting that goes to the rear of the air horn so I've looked at PIM and carburetor layout and it's not clear to me just what specific part I need. Cliff was not certain either.

This is for a 70 W30 manual tranny car. I've attached a picture where I want to attach the hot air tube from the heat stove on the manifold to the rear of the carburetor and it appears I am missing a fitting from the carburetor as I don't think it is correct to just stick the rubber hose into the carburtor opening (that is how it came to me however). I also attach a picture of a carburetor I found online and it also is supposed to be a 7040256 carburetor for a 70 W30 manual tranny car too; it has a t-fitting, but not certain it is correct.

Does anything else attach at this location besides the hot air tube and if it does then I guess I need a t-fitting? If not, then I suppose a nipple type fitting would work from the carburetor. Any help would be appreciated, especially a picture.

Old November 25th, 2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Just received my 7040256 rebuilt carb back from Cliff Ruggles. Cliff did not have the correct fitting that goes to the rear of the air horn so I've looked at PIM and carburetor layout and it's not clear to me just what specific part I need. Cliff was not certain either.

This is for a 70 W30 manual tranny car. I've attached a picture where I want to attach the hot air tube from the heat stove on the manifold to the rear of the carburetor and it appears I am missing a fitting from the carburetor as I don't think it is correct to just stick the rubber hose into the carburtor opening (that is how it came to me however). I also attach a picture of a carburetor I found online and it also is supposed to be a 7040256 carburetor for a 70 W30 manual tranny car too; it has a t-fitting, but not certain it is correct.

Does anything else attach at this location besides the hot air tube and if it does then I guess I need a t-fitting? If not, then I suppose a nipple type fitting would work from the carburetor. Any help would be appreciated, especially a picture.

First, I don't have your carb, but on my 1971, the heat tube is connected with a rubber hose to the carb. I have no idea why you would need a tee fitting here. the other heat tube connects to the choke thermostat.
Old November 25th, 2020, 02:53 PM

This is the fitting you're looking for.
Old November 25th, 2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by briane

This is the fitting you're looking for.
Curious, what connects to that second fitting ? I have not seen that before.
Old November 25th, 2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by PatL
Curious, what connects to that second fitting ? I have not seen that before.
The fitting on the side goes to the TCS solenoid.
Old November 25th, 2020, 03:17 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Thanks BSiegPaint. I suspected the TCS was involved too. The PIM shows the tubing from the TCS in that area, but to an untrained eye I was not sure about it all since the diagram in the PIM is sure not perfect to me.. It's clear now and I appreciate the info. If you don't mind I will use your picture to advertise in the Parts Needed section of this blog site.

Old November 25th, 2020, 03:31 PM

Here is a thread with a great pic of the part you need

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...estion-143389/
Old November 25th, 2020, 05:04 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Thank you. I located an orginal fitting from a member and it is shipping Friday!