General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'70 Cutlass PS Pump bracket diagram/pic

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2016 | 08:45 AM

'70 Cutlass PS Pump bracket diagram/pic

Howdy,

1970 Cutlass with orig L-33 455 and A/C

Pulled my power steering pump a while back and just got to replacing the pump and reassembling with the reservoir pulley etc. Was trying to reinstall the other night and was unclear exactly how the three brackets that hold that thing on mount. Can't find a diagram in the ASM that seems to match my configuration.

Does anyone have a bracket diagram for this car, or a decent pic that can help me out? Or point to the right page in the ASM?

Also, are any of the mount points to either the engine or the PS pump supposed to have spacers? There were a bunch of washers on a few bolts when I disassembled.\

This is my engine configuration:

Any help appreciated thanks!
Old August 12th, 2016 | 08:55 AM

Dan, read through this thread. There are pictures of the brackets installed on the pump & block. Then scroll down further for a diagram showing the spacers.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-brackets.html
Old August 12th, 2016 | 09:06 AM
Administrator

And this link also:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...p-spacers.html
Old August 12th, 2016 | 10:46 AM

Perfect. Thanks. CO to the rescue as usual. I quite sure my (xeroxed) copy of the ASM doesn't have that page so between having that and all the photos I think I'm set. And now I don't feel so bad, that's a complicated bracket system!!!

And sorry I didn't find those myself, my short attention span kicked in before I my previous search reached that far in time. Lots of steering posts here.

Gracias
Old August 12th, 2016 | 11:09 AM

Crap. I see that I omitted the thick washer/spacer on the adjustable bracket that mounts between the pulley and pump. I thought the bracket didn't look very parallel to the pump.

Hope I can get that pulley off without destroying it (destroyed the first one). Those things seem to bend if you even look at them hard.
Old August 14th, 2016 | 04:34 PM

Thanks for the help. Car is back on the road today - after (embarrasingly) being sidelined due to this issue and one other since May!

Old August 14th, 2016 | 05:48 PM

Wow, so that's what my car is supposed to look like! Nice!

I wish I had seen this earlier, just went through this exercise myself, left everything disassembled for a couple of weeks and then came back and was like...uuuh, how does this all go back together again?.... I snap pics with the phone every time now, no matter how seemingly obvious.

If I can ever help with pics, please email me, Dan.