power steering brackets

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM

power steering brackets

Does anyone know where I can get the power steering bracket lay-out for a 69 cutty on line Thanks Jimbo.
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM

I am pretty sure 2blu442 (John) has several sets. Dave E
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Jimbo, are you needing the parts or just good pictures to help you bolt yours together? John
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM

power steering brackets

Pictures would be great THANKS,Jimbo
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Hi Jim
Here's a series of pictures. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything is unclear. John

These first ones are an overview of the brackets attached to the power steering pump.
P1010043.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Now here's some pictures of where it attaches to the motor. There is a spacer on the timing cover bolt, and I think (someone else will have to confirm/clarifly this) that there's another spacer on the place where it attaches to the side of the motor block. Down low near the oil pan and toward the motor mount.

P1010063.jpg
P1010067-1.jpg

P1010064.jpg
P1010066.jpg

P1010058.jpg
P1010051.jpg

P1010059.jpg
P1010057.jpg

P1010001-1.jpg

Oops! I know I have a spider problem but didn't realize the cobwebs were so bad down the side of the block!
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow, John! Great set of pics!

Now, picking up from other threads, am I correct that the small, narrow bracket that goes back horizontally to the exhaust manifold is replaced by one of the alternator brackets in smallblock cars with A/C (alternator on the left), but NOT in bigblock cars with A/C, where the alternator bracket is independent of the P/S pump? Or am I still confused? I ask because junkyard scrounges like me have to pick from what we find, and one hates to grab the wrong stuff on a run to a distant yard.

- Eric
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM

You the man !

Thanks the pictures are perfect .My life just got alot easier. Thanks again Jimbo
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JUMBOJIMBO
Thanks the pictures are perfect .My life just got alot easier. Thanks again Jimbo
Just note that thanks to all the cobwebs () you can't really see the spacer in the last photo. Many people forget that one, leading to innumerable posts about pulley alignment.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM

The best thing you can do (other than contacting John ) is to buy an assembly manual for your year. I just installed the accessories on my engine after a rebuild and the assembly manual is invaluable. It showed that I needed a spacer in the same lower spot that has been pointed out and so I put one there. Great tool. Probably pick one up at Fusicks, Supercars Unltd, OPGI, Brothers and any other Oldsmobile supplier or literature seller.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Excellent pictures. Just answered the spacer issue and placement that I had also.
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Olds Dreamer

I am missing the spacers. the one on the timing tab and the one on the side of the block. can anyone give me the lenghts of them so i can make some?

thanks
Old November 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Call Jim @
Classic Olds
(336) 766-7845

I was looking at these yesterday. He has them is stock along with all new hardware if you need it. The spacers are 2 different diameters and lengths. I don't know the sizes/lengths, but they look like nice pieces.
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Olds Dreamer

I found the measurements for them at rop.

The bigger one at the bottom of the block-It measures just slightly larger than 7/16" ID (to accept a 7/16"bolt with some play), slightly larger than 3/4" OD and I measured a little less than 13/32" long, or 0.406,

The thin spacer by the lower water pump mount measures slightly larger than 3/8" ID (to accept the 3/8" stud used there with some play) and 9/16" OD and 9/16" length.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are a few more photos of P/S pump brackets, and a clearer photo of the lower spacer location here.

- Eric
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Jim
Here's a series of pictures. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything is unclear. John

These first ones are an overview of the brackets attached to the power steering pump.

Now here's some pictures of where it attaches to the motor. There is a spacer on the timing cover bolt, and I think (someone else will have to confirm/clarifly this) that there's another spacer on the place where it attaches to the side of the motor block. Down low near the oil pan and toward the motor mount.

Oops! I know I have a spider problem but didn't realize the cobwebs were so bad down the side of the block!
Yes, great pictures...better than any diagram I've seen...BUT my question is, is there a way to remove 'just' the pump and not remove ALL of the bracket fasteners?

Thanks,
Neil
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by n_holman
Yes, great pictures...better than any diagram I've seen...BUT my question is, is there a way to remove 'just' the pump and not remove ALL of the bracket fasteners?

Thanks,
Neil
Not really. At a minimum you need to remove the pulley and the front bracket to get the pump off. There are two bolts from the front bracket to the pump body that are under the pulley and a third bolt under the pump that holds the front bracket to the bottom bracket. Finally, there is a nut on a stud on the back of the pump that holds the pump to the bottom bracket. This stud prevents the pump from simply being pulled out of the brackets on the engine.

Personally, I find it easier to simply pull the pump with the brackets and disassemble/reassemble on the bench.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not really. At a minimum you need to remove the pulley and the front bracket to get the pump off. There are two bolts from the front bracket to the pump body that are under the pulley and a third bolt under the pump that holds the front bracket to the bottom bracket. Finally, there is a nut on a stud on the back of the pump that holds the pump to the bottom bracket. This stud prevents the pump from simply being pulled out of the brackets on the engine.

Personally, I find it easier to simply pull the pump with the brackets and disassemble/reassemble on the bench.
Thanks, usually there is a hole large enough for a socket to remove the 2 bolts behind but....anyway do I need a puller to pull the pulley off? To remove all the bolts then the pump assembly do I also need to pull all of the altenator brackets?

Neil
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by n_holman
Thanks, usually there is a hole large enough for a socket to remove the 2 bolts behind but....anyway do I need a puller to pull the pulley off? To remove all the bolts then the pump assembly do I also need to pull all of the altenator brackets?

Neil
Older cars typically don't have the holes, and the pulley can be either pressed on or held on with a nut, depending on the age of the pump. If there's no nut on the shaft, it's a press-on.
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM

If there IS a nut holding the keyed pulley on, then it is hard to remove w/o damage or bending. If you touch it with a tool, like a pry or puller tool, you will ruin the pulley. Gloved hands only. I have written that procedure, which took me a few pulleys to develop....

Yes, you really need to pull the PS pump with all its brackets as an assembly. It's not that bad after you have done 1 or 2.

One thing Joe forgot to mention- there is a thick washer- same PN as intake / xst bolt washers- between pump body and fwd bracket, on the inboard bolt which resides under the pulley. Easy to lose or overlook.

Consult the Assembly Manual via paper copy or WildAboutCars.com for all the gory details.

Last edited by Octania; April 13th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
If there IS a not holding the keyed pulley on, then it is hard to remove w/o damage or bending. If you touch it with a tool, like a pry or puller tool, you will ruin the pulley. Gloved hands only. I have written that procedure, which took me a few pulleys to develop....

Yes, you really need to pull the PS pump with all its brackets as an assembly. It's not that bad after you have done 1 or 2.

One thing Joe forgot to mention- there is a thick washer- same PN as intake / xst bolt washers- between pump body and fwd bracket, on the inboard bolt which resides under the pulley. Easy to lose or overlook.

Consult the Assembly Manual via paper copy or WildAboutCars.com for all the gory details.
Thanks for your imput. Job is done. I decided to just remove the radiator then loosen the pump to access the fluid hoses in the back. Good thing as when I 'gently' was able to slide the pulley off I discovered the early signs that the the pulley shaft was beginning to leak. So it was a good time to replace the whole pump. I was able to remove the front pump bracket then lift the pump clear. It was also a good time to replace the fan clutch and eye ball the radiator. This car spent much of it's last 30 years in a garage...just 2k miles since 1985. Water pump was replaced a couple or so years ago with new hoses. Next...new plugs, points, cap and wires. This car is in awesome condition.
Thanks,
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010050.jpg (100.6 KB, 98 views)
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM

So is the power steering pump physically different for a BBC than a SBC? Reason I ask is that I'm currently looking for a power steering pump for my 68' 350 SB non-AC and the original does not resemble the one posted in this thread. Please see the pictures I've attached. My pump had a press-on style 2-groove pulley with the 3 holes in it (for AC cars).

The pulley & bracket set-up on my car was a mix-n-match mess that included parts for AC and non-AC so I've been finding and purchasing the correct parts for my set-up.

Does anyone know where I can find a new P.S. pump? It needs to have the keyed shaft to accept my new & correct single groove pulley

Thanks guys.
Attached Images
PSP #1.jpg (41.9 KB, 125 views)
PSP #2.jpg (38.8 KB, 120 views)
PSP #3.jpg (38.3 KB, 111 views)
PSP #4.jpg (32.4 KB, 124 views)
Power steering #4.jpg (65.7 KB, 166 views)
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jjokrm
So is the power steering pump physically different for a BBC than a SBC? Reason I ask is that I'm currently looking for a power steering pump for my 68' 350 SB non-AC and the original does not resemble the one posted in this thread. Please see the pictures I've attached. My pump had a press-on style 2-groove pulley with the 3 holes in it (for AC cars).
I assume you mean BBO/SBO, not BBC/SBC. In any case, the Saginaw pumps are made of two parts, the cast iron pump and the stamped sheet metal reservoir. All the pump bodies interchange. There are a number of different reservoirs, depending on application. You can swap the reservoir from one pump to another, in fact you can easily buy a rebuilt pump body without reservoir from any auto parts store and just put your reservoir on it.
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I assume you mean BBO/SBO, not BBC/SBC. In any case, the Saginaw pumps are made of two parts, the cast iron pump and the stamped sheet metal reservoir. All the pump bodies interchange. There are a number of different reservoirs, depending on application. You can swap the reservoir from one pump to another, in fact you can easily buy a rebuilt pump body without reservoir from any auto parts store and just put your reservoir on it.
Yes, I meant BBO & SBO Thanks for the information. Great to know! I appreciate it!!
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:47 AM

This thread is awesome guys! I've had my power steering pump assembly apart for a year and forgot to take proper pictures... This thread just saved me a lot of time. Thanks.
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:24 AM

1021_5258_73-455_BRACKETS_P14-Pump-.jpg

1021_5258_73-455_BRACKETS_P13.jpg
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM
foo

Is there anywhere I would be able to find proper brackets for my 455?
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by foo
Is there anywhere I would be able to find proper brackets for my 455?
Well, you could start by scrolling up and reading this thread. Failing that, you could post a Parts Wanted ad. It will help if you also let us know what year and body this is going into, and does it have A/C or not.
Old August 4th, 2016, 03:52 PM
1972 442

power steering pump rear straight bracket

Anyone know what im talking about lol. Its on the back of my pump and goes up to the head. Basically a piece of metal with 2 holes. I cant find it on line anywhere. I can have a buddy make it but looking for one just to buy.
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:00 PM
1972 442

Theres that bracket im talking about
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's not an Olds bracket. Somebody made that.

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:10 PM
1972 442

No **** huh? What goes back there?
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Scroll back in this thread, which started in 2011.

It's all there.

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Old School Olds

138, I have the 2 piece bracket, but not the spacers or bolts, pm sent.
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Beer Connoisseur

inline tube has the spacers and bolts.
Ebay link PS HARDWARE ON EBAY

spacers only PS Spacers
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:24 AM
1972 442

Thanks! Thats awesome