General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

69 442 Ignition and Locking Pin

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2021, 12:57 PM

69 442 Ignition and Locking Pin

I have a 69 442 with a tilt steering column and have been having issues with the ignition. I'm not really sure what the issue is but I continue to reoccurring issues. I've turned the ignition at time and get nothing. I've readjusted the ignition switch and it starts fine. Then it happens again. I've replaced the ignition switch and thought I fixed the problem but here it is happening again. This time I decided to check the ignition rod since it feels like its binding and the steering wheel never locked. I've realized that the locking pin was missing but I've cleaned, lubricated and straightened the rod so that all seems to be working freely now. Where can I find the proper lock pin? I purchased one on line advertised for a "G" body but the seller says it should be the same. It fits but the pinion gear is not catching it clean to engage as required. The spring that came with it is the same as the spring in my column. Unfortunately I can't get the phillips head screw out to replace the spring which I believe is bent and causing the locking pin issue. Any suggestions? Albert
Old May 17th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Are you sure the problem is the ignition switch and not the NSS or starter circuit?
Old May 17th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Good reply, no I'm not sure. I just knew something was wrong with the column so I thought I'd sort through that. I've replaced all the wiring with factory spec wiring from American Autowire in Bellmawr NJ. The ignition and NSS are also new. Our the winter I thought maybe the rod from the transmission to the steering column might not be set correctly so I tried reposition that but noting. Is there a test procedure for checking the ignition and NSS?
Old May 17th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

So when you say "I've turned the ignition at time and get nothing.", exactly what does that mean? When you turn the key to RUN there's no power on the switched circuits? Or when you turn it to START the starter doesn't turn? There are many other causes for either of those problems besides the column. Useful troubleshooting information requires an accurate description of the problem.

Old May 17th, 2021, 02:59 PM

So at times I've turned the ignition to start, starters engaged everything is fine. Shut the car off turn the key to run and nothing as if someone disconnected the battery. The first time this occurred was when I stopped for gas and got nothing. I readjusted the ignition switch and eventually the started engaged. Another time all I did was reposition the tilt column while driving and when I got back this occurred again. This time I bought a new ignition switch with the preset pin and once installed It started. I thought it was solved but it occurred again.
Old May 17th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fisher442
So at times I've turned the ignition to start, starters engaged everything is fine. Shut the car off turn the key to run and nothing as if someone disconnected the battery. The first time this occurred was when I stopped for gas and got nothing. I readjusted the ignition switch and eventually the started engaged. Another time all I did was reposition the tilt column while driving and when I got back this occurred again. This time I bought a new ignition switch with the preset pin and once installed It started. I thought it was solved but it occurred again.
I'll try this again.

This problem is ONLY about the starter not cranking when you turn the key, correct? When this happens, have you ever then turned the key to the RUN position to see if the heater fan or radio work? If they do, chances are the ignition switch it NOT the problem.
Old May 17th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Yes that is correct. Unfortunately the radio is not installed and the heater fan does not run. I'm not sure without test if the fan works. I'm sure I need to do some testing using a multi meter to see if I'm getting power to the NSS. I'm going to reinstall the steering column once I get the but steering wheel lock working correctly then I'll start testing circuits.
Old May 17th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

ANY ignition-switched item will tell you if there's power in RUN.
Turn signals, for example.

Or, just connect a test light to the IGN terminal in the fuse box.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:48 PM

Yes that's true. I don't recall anything working but I still have the issue with the locking pin so once I can get that fixed and return the steering column I do some trouble shooting with a multi meter. Thanks.