General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

63 Starfire - Noise in Steering - Help!

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012, 01:44 PM

63 Starfire - Noise in Steering - Help!

Ever since I got my 63 Starfire I have had a steering noise that presents itself when I turn the wheels at idle or very slow speeds. It sounds like a combination of a groan and a squeak, low pitched, and seems to occur when turning right or left. It is worst at idle with the car in gear, sometime I notice it when cruising very slowly but not always. It seems to go away when I accelerate and drive at higher speeds. The fluid level is correct, the belt tension is correct and belt has been replaced, and there is no leakage anywhere. I have done the back and forth exercise to bleed the gear with no improvement. When I rebuilt the rag joint I thought it may have been caused by the coupling dragging on the top of the gear, but I adjusted it with the proper clearance and there was no change. Lately it seems to be getting louder and I can feel a little kickback in the wheel which goes away when revs increase. My car drives great except for this and I can't figure it out - has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it?
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Don, sounds like your pump is wearing out. Several places rebuild the 68-later style pumps, but I don't see why somewhere like Lares Corp. couldn't do yours too. They're on the AACA board every so often; wouldn't hurt to check with them.