General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 Driveshaft Installation

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2021, 08:06 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

1970 Driveshaft Installation

Getting ready to install the u-joints on the restored driveshaft for my '70. A few questions I could use assistance on before I tackle putting it back in.

1.) Does the slip yoke positioning on the driveshaft matter? I get that there is a "key" on the trans shaft, and that the yoke has a specific position it installs on the trans, but the yoke would only go on the shaft one of two ways. Does it matter?

2.) With regards to the clips for the u-joint at the rear, do I install the clips for the u-joint at the pinion yoke once the shaft is installed? The pinion yoke is already connected to the rear end at the moment.

It has been at least 3 years since I took all of this apart, however, I don't recall having an issue getting the driveshaft out after simply undoing the two straps. As a side note, this is the factory driveshaft. The car won't be driven with this shaft beyond just on and off the trailer. My plan is to have a new driveshaft made after the show circuit is complete.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 10:33 AM

I just put joints in my 68. Yoke can go in either way on shaft.
My rear joint attaching to pinion yoke did not have clips and are held on by the u bolt straps. My pinion yoke did not have any tabs to hold caps in place and felt that maybe they could fly out. So I put clips on and now feel better about not having to worry about caps wiggling out.
Now this will be hard to describe but I will try. I'm assuming your using a joint that has a grease fitting. The front yoke turns the driveshaft. So 2 sections of joint are being compressed to turn shaft while the other 2 sides are being pulled apart while being turned. You always want grease fitting to be in either of the 2 compressed sides. Reason being is that the joint is hollow inside and is hollow going up to the grease fitting so it can be filled with grease. The grease fitting area is the weakest part of joint and if its on the side that is being pulled on to rotate shaft then failure could happen. Make sense? Also the back side of driveshaft turns the pinion yoke, so you need to install again on compressed side of rotation.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 11:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is no key on the yoke. As Jeff noted, the grease fittings on the U-joints want to be in compression. The snap rings go on the U-joint before you put it in the rear axle yoke.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 12:51 PM

I assume you are thinking it is keyed because of the missing spline inside the yoke? This missing spline is more of a vent. when the yoke moves in and out it vents the open cavity back into the transmission so it don't build pressure or vacuum. It does not matter what way it goes into the transmission.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 01:10 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I assume you are thinking it is keyed because of the missing spline inside the yoke? This missing spline is more of a vent. when the yoke moves in and out it vents the open cavity back into the transmission so it don't build pressure or vacuum. It does not matter what way it goes into the transmission.
Correct. I was slipping the yoke in the trans last night, and it felt like it would only go in one way. Granted, I wasn't trying all that hard and didn't have the car high enough in the air to actually put my eyes on it, but that's what it felt like.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 04:53 PM

I try to get the grease fittings on the same plane.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 09:12 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Thanks, all. Appreciate the tips. I will install the u-joints tomorrow. The joints I am using do not have grease fittings. Again, before anyone gets overly concerned with my choice in u-joints, these are going on a trailer queen before I have a new shaft put together.