General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I bought another car, well, it's actually a truck.

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

I bought another car, well, it's actually a truck.

So I needed something cheap, reliable, and somewhat practical to drive so I can pull the engine and trans from my '77 Delta to rebuild the engine and replace the trans. I wasn't really interested in a truck, but this one came along, and it seemed right, so I took it.

What I bought was a 1985 Dodge Ram D100 with a cammed and carbed 318, it has some mystery "Towing" cam, a new water pump, timing chain, lifters, alternator, radiator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, swap meet Eddy 318/360 intake, 70's era Holley 4160 4bbl, electric choke, 727 automatic, decent tires, a rotted exhaust system, a small hole in the drivers side floorboard, and the drivers side door seal leaks like the titanic. I had to mess with the kickdown linkage because it's too short, I need to find a four barrel linkage, get the exhaust done, and either replace or repair the carb, the throttle linkage is loose and leaks, and the electric choke isn't hooked up and may not work. Past that, I'll be driving it until I sort out the Oldsmobile.

If you're wondering why I wound up with a truck, and a Dodge at that, it's simple. It boils down to this:

I realized if I'm going to do the Delta the way I want, I'll need a second vehicle to drive while it's in many pieces, and I'm picky about what I'll own, 80's Ford trucks are too complicated, the fuel injection often baffles me. Chevy trucks cannot be found except in the non running / decent body condition, or non running / returning to the earth from whence it came. And I really didn't want something front wheel drive, as they are often difficult to do simple repairs on, IE, change an alternator or belt.

The Dodge has been a learning curve, but, I'll figure out out. Sometime in Spring I should start making headway on the Oldsmobile, I'm going to swap it to antique tags so it doesn't have to be inspected, 'cause, how do you inspect a car with the engine in a nearby shed?
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:30 AM

I think a pickup truck is a great choice but you better learn to say no or you'll never have a weekend or evening to yourself. Trucks are just too handy and friends and family will pester you with requests like, "I'm moving Sat. can you come over with your truck and help?" or "I bought a cord of wood, can I borrow your truck to haul it?" and on and on. Believe me you'll have lots of new friends to go along with the truck.
Jerry
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
I think a pickup truck is a great choice but you better learn to say no or you'll never have a weekend or evening to yourself. Trucks are just too handy and friends and family will pester you with requests like, "I'm moving Sat. can you come over with your truck and help?" or "I bought a cord of wood, can I borrow your truck to haul it?" and on and on. Believe me you'll have lots of new friends to go along with the truck.
Jerry

That's why I got a short bed, I can only haul so much, once I put the bed mounted toolbox in, and move the spare tire under it, I won't have much room at all. Though I did get drafted the week after to help my aunt with a rug she bought that honestly could've fit in her Nissan with the seat folded down. Probably would've arrived a little cleaner too. Oh well, so far no one has bothered me to haul anything else, and I hope it stays that way. Though, between my father, my uncle, two of my cousins, and myself (83 Dodge D150, 87 Dodge D150, '89 GMC 1500, '89 F150, and my '85 D100) we could pretty much move any of our relatives without having to rent a truck.

So far I like the truck, but I think it's got bad ball joints or drag links 'cause sometimes the steering pops when you are turning at slow speeds, but that isn't a huge issue, it doesn't seem to be gnawing on the tires, but the front tires are different from the back, so maybe it is, we'll see. Like my uncle said, "You don't get much for $800 that runs, let alone something you can drive."
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM
car nut farmer

Drop it!!!! Then go lowwww and slowww.

Hard to beat a short box.

Last edited by 71rocket; November 7th, 2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by 71rocket
Drop it!!!! Then go lowwww and slowww.

Hard to beat a short box.
If I find a stepside bed, this thing has no future BUT a hot rod, but it won't be low or slow. I know of a few places to look for a good 440, and yes, I'm insane enough to put a mild 440 in one of these trucks. Though I'd nearly shoot myself for condemning it to 9MPG, so a 360 is a more likely option. Does it make me more of a redneck that I'd move the fuel tank under the tool box so I could have side pipes or stacks?

I saw a 70's Dodge stepside pickup with a built cummins and stacks once, that thing was loud and you couldn't see the highway to catch it, there's rolling coal, and then there's that truck.