General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

looking for ideas on single din radio

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM

looking for ideas on single din radio

I just moved an old radio out of the dash and will be looking for a single din radio that would be more retro looking than the new ones with all the color options. any ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1971 8-track.jpg (57.7 KB, 27 views)
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM

If you're talking about putting the new radio where the factory radio was installed, that not a DIN opening, single or otherwise. The radio in the picture down below the dash is a single DIN radio. Radios that fit in DIN openings will not fit into openings made for the shaft-style radios used in cars up through the early '80s.

If you want a modern radio that will fit in the original dash opening without modifications, and you don't want to use an original radio, you'll have to either get an old radio refurbished with modern internals, and there are places that do this if you search the internet, or get a modern radio designed with the retro look to fit in that kind of opening.

Here's a photo of an example of the latter. Note that the size of the dial on the shaft-style radios is not wide enough to accommodate a CD, so these old-looking radios cannot play CDs. But with everything moving to I-pods and USB drives, that's probably not much of an issue any more as these retro radios do normally come with or can be gotten with AUX and USB ports.

Old May 18th, 2014, 07:39 PM

As far as a single DIN radio that "looks like" an old radio, I've never seen such a thing, and I've been checking out sites like Crutchfield for years. Anyone looking to replace a radio in a DIN opening has a car made since about 1985 and is probably not looking for a retro look as much as they are for modern electronics with all the bells and whistles. So my guess is that there is little to no market for something like this, so no manufacturer makes something like this.

But I could be wrong.