General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Seen these heads on Ebay?...

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Seen these heads on Ebay?...

Anyone seen this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...item2313413c67

Its been posted forever. The price is pretty steep, $650 or so for Ga heads? Ehhh, i dunno. But that can be excused cause he has the option to make an offer, but the real thing that urks me here is that he offers to change the letter code on the heads, changing his Ga to A or C or H...

Im sure someone has posted this on here before and im late to the party just thought id mention it
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM

The seller is on classic olds . He makes a 69 H/o intake too. Dont think they
hold very well from what i gathered from talking to him but just my take on it.

Last edited by firefrost gold; February 29th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:48 PM
delete

Standard size valves at 1.995" and 1.645".

Aren't these small for a 455 head?
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Oh im not calling him out or anything, they do look like good heads
The price is typical working, we all do it, we ask for a little more than what we really want so the buyer offers what we want

Really the only thing that got me to post it was changing the ID letter on the heads, i wasnt a fan of that. But other than that they do look like good heads. Also i believe the 1.995 is most likely the accurate measurement for Olds big block head intakes, they probly just round it off to an even 2 to make it easier. Just my theory haha
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

This seller is an honorable member of the Olds community. He is a straight shooter that will go out of his way to help you obtain the smallest of parts you need, if they are at his access.Always willing to help with Olds info for free of course. ( Has helped me personally)
He does mention to make an offer if a buyer feels they are to pricey.
The center exhaust divider is welded up already,that has to count for something, a shop will not weld and mill the surface for free.

I understand your concern about the letter id changing. On the other side of the issue. He helps others obtain faux id'd parts who otherwise could not afford the unobtainum. He is always on the level about his faux parts and has never tried to pass any off as real to a perspective buyer.

Just wanted to throw this info out there so as to avoid any negativity.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin

I understand your concern about the letter id changing. On the other side of the issue. He helps others obtain faux id'd parts who otherwise could not afford the unobtainum. He is always on the level about his faux parts and has never tried to pass any off as real to a perspective buyer.

Just wanted to throw this info out there so as to avoid any negativity.
This is fine but what happens when the buyer of his fake rare lettered heads decides to sell the car and forgets to tell the buyer that they did not originally come or are correct for that W car or H/O. Or perhaps he does but the next seller does not? Yes I guess with real scrutany you could decode the heads to prove they are fake but this is not often done. My opinion would be not to even tamper with such things. If you cant afford or find correct letter heads so be it.... who are they trying to kid?
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yes I guess with real scrutany you could decode the heads to prove they are fake but this is not often done.
It's up to the buyer to do their homework...caveat emptor
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
This is fine but what happens when the buyer of his fake rare lettered heads decides to sell the car and forgets to tell the buyer that they did not originally come or are correct for that W car or H/O. Or perhaps he does but the next seller does not? Yes I guess with real scrutany you could decode the heads to prove they are fake but this is not often done. My opinion would be not to even tamper with such things. If you cant afford or find correct letter heads so be it.... who are they trying to kid?
Are you the type of person that blames the gun dealer for the murder...come on

Chris is completely up front with what he does. Anyone that knows what they're looking at knows if they are a "replicate"
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
caveat emptor

^2

dont assume the seller will be completely open and honest.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM

I would say that by some of you all's logic then it is OK for me to print up some fake $100 to buy your car with and if you dont catch that they are fake then that is your problem.
personally, fake is fake! to put 442 emblems on a cutlass is one thing as there are easy ways to say it is a clone. changing codes on heads would be no different than changing VIN's. you would only change the code on the heads to fool some one into believing it is the real thing. other wise why bother. if you are saying it is a clone then no one would care about the head ID.
justifing fraud is just as bad as perpetuating the fraud.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I would say that by some of you all's logic then it is OK for me to print up some fake $100 to buy your car with and if you dont catch that they are fake then that is your problem.
personally, fake is fake! to put 442 emblems on a cutlass is one thing as there are easy ways to say it is a clone. changing codes on heads would be no different than changing VIN's. you would only change the code on the heads to fool some one into believing it is the real thing. other wise why bother. if you are saying it is a clone then no one would care about the head ID.
justifing fraud is just as bad as perpetuating the fraud.
So when The Parts Place starts reproducing D, F, & H heads with all the correct casting numbers (they've already had them listed on their website to "gauge interest") then they are perpetrating fraud? Of course not. There will always be reproduction parts offered. There's nothing on a head or intake that makes them specific to a particular car.
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM

X2 on Chris's help to all Olds guys - he sold me just the nipple I need to make a 72 455 auto manifold have the correct PCV routing for a 4 speed setup, and then made up some specific instructions on how to install it correctly for a ridiculously cheap price.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM

"There's nothing on a head or intake that makes them specific to a particular car. "

well lets see. the F head was only used on 70 W-30 cars, the aluminum intake was only used on W-30 cars so I would say that there is something on them that makes them specific to a particular car. I have a set of 1965 '208' BBC heads sitting here on my floor that were only used on two cars, '65 corvette with 425hp 396 and '65 Z-16 chevelle. these heads mean a difference of $20,000 for those cars being correct or not, just like having a W-30 with correct parts or not. heads, intakes, etc are not regular service items. they dont wear out or go bad and by creating reproduction parts to replace them opens the door for massive fraud and yes to me they are just as coulpable as the person who puts them on the car and then "forgets" to mention the car is not what they represent. I could make a set of dies to print money and if I never print any but sell them to you and you print the money I am just as dirty even though I didnt print anything. just my $.02 but all this justiying of things like this is why we have so much fraud and lying and cheating in the world.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM

These are always interesting topics (reproduction of rare parts and re-bodied cars) but from a guy who owns two W30s I can tell you there is no markings on either the manifold or the heads that can match it to a specific VIN thus a specific car - I think that is what was meant. Yes they are specific to a W30 but no way to trace them back to an individual car.

Also if you ever saw how thin a W30 intake was you would realize sooner or later a reproduction will be needed. Years of aluminum against iron causes a lot of deterioration of the manifold, they warp easily and have very little mettle on the runners to mil if they need to be cleaned up or straightened.

Yes its frustrating because with no paperwork you could fake a W30 but sometimes the real parts are unobtainable.

Now to jump on my soap box. Just because I own one a W30 convertible does not mean I'm a millionaire. Yes its rare and yes that means the parts are expensive but many times I feel since I own a car worth a decent amount folks assume I have bags of money for parts. I bought the convertible years ago at the bottom of the market and paid very little for it, doesn't mean I have the money to replace all the parts I may need one day.

An example; in the late 90s I sent my carb to the Carb Shop in California, a business that was around for decades, unbeknownst to me the original owner sold it to a guy who was caught up in tax evasion. While my carb was there he took all the inventory in the middle of the night, skipped town and I and probably dozens of others lost valuable carbs. I actually had no idea just how expensive replacing the carb was, at that time all I could afford was a replacement carb. I rather own the real parts but if those were my heads I'd be spending 500 on repos faster than I would $3000 on real F-heads. Have you looked at the cost of W parts

F heads 2500 - 4000
Intake 1000 - 1500
carb 750 (7040258) - 1500 (7040256)
distributor 750 - 1500
original fender wells 750

On the cheap side that is 5k, on the high side 10k, not to mention the W27 rear end - I have never seen one sell but I've seen stupid asking prices of 8k - 10k.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM

I have a real set of Ga heads for sale, I'll take $150 obo...they've never been touched