General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Not really feelin it

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Unhappy Not really feelin it

My car has been at the body shop since late march/earlly april, and we just finished rebuilding the windshield frame and got the windshield back in today. And since it's been there ive kinda been losing interest in it, ive been feeling like its not really the right car for me. I really like the way it looks, and it runs and drives great. But i feel like i want something else( I do fantasy builds with cars i like, but i never really build my car). I dont mind working on it but i would preffer it to be mechanical work, all this body work has been a drag. With it not being home i kinda feel like i dont even have a car. I quess im just asking for encouragment too continue to work on it and see it through to the end or advice on my other option, selling or trading it. Thanks for reading.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Just be patient! When you get it back, the hardest part will be done.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Ya i know when its done i will be cruisin happy, but i dont want to wait another two months to get the rear window frame done so i can drive it.
Ill be getting my drivers liscence next month and i want to drive my car.
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Registered

You got "The car will never be done blues" it will pass soon enough, a couple of months isn't that long. You need to try the car before you know if you'll like it, the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. My car took me almost four years. I was ready to give up and sell it a few times but you have to keep the faith and persevere. Just think of how nice it will be when it's finished, hang up a pic or two of a nice one and dream. I had a lot of second thoughts about my Vista Cruiser. It was real uncomfortable to drive, it's a lot of car and I wondered what I got myself into. It can be very frustrating when it looks like it will never be a car again but you have to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The mental part is always the hardest part to do.

"Good things come to those who wait."
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Hang in there!

I so understand the timing thing. It's about more than just a couple of months, it's about that first month with your license, AND your car.

There is a reason for everything, and here I can see 2 big positives to all the waiting...

1st think of all the practice you will be getting on someone else's ride before jumping into the car you have worked so hard on perfecting. While you may be a much better driver than I was when I started out, I was in a couple minor fender benders my first month on the road. I had a $300 beater chebbie, and neither caused much damage, but it still didn't feel good.

2nd, think of all the impression you will make, and how great you will feel on your first day back at school in your new ride.
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Past Administrator

"Patience is a virtue".

This is a true quote, keep at it my friend. Some of us have had projects for three or four years without driving them, just keep patient and soon you will be cruising.
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Englishman

got any pics?
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Sounds to me like you need to get the car back from the body shop and do some work on it yourself. You can always redo the rear window channel yourself with a welder, bondo, and Rust-Oleum (as long as it isn't too rotted).
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Cutlass Lover

Come on..... don't get discouraged! Hang in there! You'll be glad you did.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Do you know that you would be one of the coolest kids at your school if you KEEP your car. I have been working on my car for 3 years, 16 weeks, and x number of days and x number of hours and l fired it up the newly rebuilt rocket for the First time this weekend and the music was so sweet to my ears I don't care if I even get to drive it. Hang in there, you know you want to keep her
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I know how you feel. I hate leaving my car somewhere to get worked on. SOmething feels wrong when baby isn't home. That and anymore I don't trust anyone to work I my cars. I feel if someone is going to screw up my cars it might as well be me. Just hang in there get it done and get it home.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Sounds to me like you need to get the car back from the body shop and do some work on it yourself. You can always redo the rear window channel yourself with a welder, bondo, and Rust-Oleum (as long as it isn't too rotted).
Ya im going to bring it home today and work on the inside. i actually got a deal with the body shop owner, i do some work here and there for him and i do most of the work on my car and he doesnt make me pay anything. So i do work on it, but if im not there it doesnt get worked on and i have to work outside so if its raining i cant work.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM

thanks to everyone for the replys i really do want to keep it, ive already named her. As far as school goes i am home schooled and my only class mate( my sister) graduated already and she only has a bronco anyways. I do have some cool car competition from my principal(my dad) hes got a 65 nova.
Oh ya i do have pictures, im going to try to get to the library to post pics today.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM

i do some work here and there for him and i do most of the work on my car and he doesnt make me pay anything
That is cool!
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Englishman

1968 olds delta custom
1978 yamaha yz125
1980 yamaha xt250
1984 kawasaki kd80
1985 tamiya bruiser

Cool collection of toys you got there!!!

Over the winter when mine comes off the road I go off the boil a bit too... Even so far as to start looking for other cars - Nearly bought a Galaxie earlier this year - I tinker about here and there but it's not the same when it's just sitting there. But as soon as the time comes to polish the old girl up again and fire it up for the first time and take it for a spin my love is instantly renewed and increases with every year.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM

IF you are gonna do the resto right (and I take it you are), then one must not rush it (or try). Things will go downhill for the worst.
Bodywork looks to be a drag myself. Apply something, sand it off, repeat.........
However, it needs to be done and that is what will make the most visual beauty.
Once the car is out of the paint shop, assembly can commence and it will start to look more like a car again and the feeling of accomplishment will increase a lot.
Hang in there - a job well done means not cutting corners - do it all right the first time. Pace yourself and keep at it a little more each day. Soon, it will all start shaping up faster and faster.

Keep it up!
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
GM Enthusiast

When I was restoring my 69 Cutlass (for 3 years) I would often feel like I was losing interest here and there. So then I would either fire her up to listen to the motor or take it out for a drive. When you get it back from the shop, take her out for a quick spin, it will remind you of why you started doing this in the first place.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Well, it's good to hear that you are going to keep it. Just work on it a little at a time and as stated before, be patient! It will all work out in the end and when you take it out of the drive way the first time after it's done it will have all been worth it. I got my original Cutlass in 1988, repainted it, got hit in 94, car sat in outside storage for 13 years, brought it home and worked on it for 18 months (frame off restoration) to get it to where it is now. It's not a perfect car, but I drove it with the pride in knowing that I put it back on the road!
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Hang in there bro. I started to get that way with my 62. It took so much effort to get it into paint, at times I just wanted to crush it. But after it came out of the paint booth and on to the trailer it all changed. Now is the exciting time, everything going back together for that one defining moment of turning the key and cruising down the open highway.
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM

i brought it home yesterday and just messed around with it. It feels alot better having it home, i did pull my valve cover off to clean the sludge out of the drivers side cylinder head oil return holes. There are more pictures in my eighty eight section thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
penzoil sludge (3).JPG (114.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
penzoil sludge (4).JPG (121.2 KB, 8 views)
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM

I agree with all the others, when the car is just sitting there doing nothing, you can get discouraged. My cutlass hasn't moved in over a year, but the paint is just about done(finally), just working on getting the $ together for engine work and misc. stuff. Being young, you will get antsy about stuff, but patience does pay off in the end, with a beautiful, well running car.
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
69CuttyS

I think that old car owners need to get into the mind set that your car will always "need something". You have to appreciate what it is now just as much as what it could be. Unless you purchase a perfect specimen for 30 to 50K, an old car is always be a project car. As long as you can drive it and enjoy it, these "down times" have to be accepted as part of the process. At least you know that when you get it back, it'll be way better!
Hey, if I didn't feel this way, I would have gotten rid of my beast long ago. It needs body work, frame work, interior work, suspension work and other stuff too. But I love driving it, and I don't mind seeing all the heads turn either!